• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sarcone's Deli in Cherry Hill

rockhopper

In the only thing of value written by Moronica Rant Ninny in the Inky this past year was a notice that Sarcone's was opening a deli - actually two - in NJ. The Cherry Hill location is now open.

It's in a Tiny strip maul across from what was Garden State Park. North of Wegman's and south of Cheezcake Factory on the east side of Haddonfield Rd.

Crummy phonecam pic from my treo. It's on the corner. You can see Wegman's in the distance.

gallery_660_4289_28731.jpg

Inside there is the deli counter, a place to buy just bread (yay) and further down a place to buy slices of bakery tomato pie. There are also a few sunny tables where you can sit down and eat.

gallery_660_4289_59483.jpg

In partnership with DiBruno's they carry a selection of their products.

gallery_660_4289_171600.jpg

The menu is identical to 9th street but two hoagies are a buck more.

Here is the Italian Hoagie:

gallery_660_4289_78881.jpg

and

gallery_660_4289_84958.jpg

So how was it? As good as what you get on 9th st. but without the addytood nor the smell of urine on the PATCO steps. But due to some cosmic conjunction on my way home I was tailgated by an SUV with PA plates in a residential street with a 25mph spped limit - he floored it and passed me on the right. On a residential street. So I got my total sout filly experience without the bridge toll.

So how does it compare to others?

For a Philly hoagie only Chickie's can match it. Go ahead and debate who is better.

For a North Jersey sub it kicks its butt.

For a South Jersey hoagie it comes in third place after Pascale's and Nardi's.

The best part is you can buy bread there.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

So how was it? As good as what you get on 9th st. but without the addytood nor the smell of urine on the PATCO steps.

The best part is you can buy bread there.

That urine smell alone is worth the price! I'm not a huge fan of their hoagies and agree with you about Chickie's, but that bread...now that's from heaven dude.

There is an article in the Courier Post about the deli. BTW, a loaf at this location is $2.99 and not $1.35 as the article states.

Chris DiVello attitude comes across loud and clear in the article. He can lick my cat's butt before I set foot in his deli again. This was the place where I ordered "an italian hoagie" and got mustard and mayonaisse slathered on it instead of oil and vinegar. What planet is he from?

Edited by rockhopper (log)

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

There is an article in the Courier Post about the deli. BTW, a loaf at this location is $2.99 and not $1.35 as the article states.

Chris DiVello attitude comes across loud and clear in the article. He can lick my cat's butt before I set foot in his deli again. This was the place where I ordered "an italian hoagie" and got mustard and mayonaisse slathered on it instead of oil and vinegar. What planet is he from?

Mustard and mayo on a hoagie?? I guess I'm a purist, but once you put anything other than oil/vinegar on a hoagie, it becomes a sandwich on a hoagie roll.

As far as DiVello's, their bread is too mushy. Maybe that's what the toothless Haddonfieldites prefer. :raz:

The only hoagie that come close to Sarcone's, in the general vicinity, is Lou and Ann's I thnk they use bread from Erlton Bakery.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Mustard and mayo on a hoagie?? I guess I'm a purist, but once you put anything other than oil/vinegar on a hoagie, it becomes a sandwich on a hoagie roll.

As far as DiVello's, their bread is too mushy. Maybe that's what the toothless Haddonfieldites prefer. :raz:

The only hoagie that come close to Sarcone's, in the general vicinity, is Lou and Ann's I thnk they use bread from Erlton Bakery.

I am not a fan of DiVello's either - I don't understand how they were ever named a "best cheesesteak" by the Inquirer. Lou and Ann's is consistently excellent, with Thumann's meats sliced to order, homemade soups, and those fantastic rolls (I prefer it to Sarcone's, Liscio's et al) from Erlton. The hoagie is a bargain at $4.75.

I had an Italian hoagie from Sarcone's for lunch today. I gotta say, I prefer Lou and Ann's. Something about that roll Lou and Ann's uses that elevates that sandwich above the rest. The Sarcone sandwich is near indistinguishable from Primo's (Primo's has more meat). I will have to try Nardi's and Pascale's.

guys-- that's cause primo's uses the sarcone's roll! at least that's what I've been told. Sarones is all about bread, I went there on Sun, bought bread and made my boyfreind a hoagie to take to lunch-- he ate the whole thing. Also I have had the pizza in Philly, but I am excited to try it in the Hill

guys-- that's cause primo's uses the sarcone's roll! at least that's what I've been told.  Sarones is all about bread, I went there on Sun, bought bread and made my boyfreind a hoagie to take to lunch-- he ate the whole thing.  Also I have had the pizza in Philly, but I am excited to try it in the Hill

Sarcone's only supplies 13 of the Primo locations, and if the Sarcone satellite delis take off, that number will likely decrease.

guys-- that's cause primo's uses the sarcone's roll! at least that's what I've been told.  Sarones is all about bread, I went there on Sun, bought bread and made my boyfreind a hoagie to take to lunch-- he ate the whole thing.  Also I have had the pizza in Philly, but I am excited to try it in the Hill

I have never heard Cherry Hill referred to as "the Hill" before, but if that is what you mean, try Toscana Lamberti in the Stop n Shop Center. Very good pies from a wood fired oven.

Sarcone's only supplies 13 of the Primo locations, and if the Sarcone satellite delis take off, that number will likely decrease.

I stoped and had a Sarcone's sandwich a few weeks ago and it was very good, but will not keep me away from my beloved Primo's. The Primo on Rt 70 in marlton uses the Sarcone bread and they make great sandwiches there. When the second Sarcons location opens up near Springdale and 70 I am sure I will put it in my regular rotation.

What I fail to understand is how anyone can put these sandwiches in the same league as Nardis. I have yet to feel I had a great sandwich at Nardi's, and their attitude basically sucks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What I fail to understand is how anyone can put these sandwiches in the same league as Nardis.  I have yet to feel I had a great sandwich at Nardi's, and their attitude basically sucks.

Well sir, if you had addressed me as a person instead of "some people" I would have replied that I've never had anything but a great sandwich at Nardi's deli. Not as good as Pascale's but still good.

But they do have sout filly addytood. Ennywun got a problem wid dat?

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

I tried their Roast Pork Italian.

gallery_660_4289_26986.jpg

and

gallery_660_4289_19267.jpg

Crappy Treo phonecam but you get the idea.

More meat than Tony Luke's. More bread too. Less greens. S's meat is less spicy but the greens make up for it. Who wins? I would eat either if you put them in front of me :smile:

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Well sir, if you had addressed me as a person instead of "some people" I would have replied that I've never had anything but a great sandwich at Nardi's deli. Not as good as Pascale's but still good.

Some people, - HUH?

My neighbor loves Nardis, I just don't see it.

Anyway back too Sarcones. I stopped at the Rt 70 location last week. Very similar in look and feel to the first store.

I tried the pizza and enjoyed it. I am not a huge fan of the sicilian style but get a hankeing every now and then. I liked the sauce as it had a nice spice to it and the crust tasted good.

As I already said, I prefer thin crust in general, but when I feel like sicilian pie it will probably be from sarcones in the future.