• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baked Stuffed Shrimp w/crabmeat

markk

We're craving baked stuffed shrimp with crabmeat (aka shrimp with crabmeat stuffing, but baked or broiled, not fried). Does anybody know anyplace in New York (or Northern NJ) that serves it and is good? I'm hoping that someplace may have re-instated it in a nostalgia nod. In NJ we have a lot of diners that have always had the dish, but that imitation surimi "crabmeat" has taken over everywhere.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Thanks. I hadn't thought of City Island (and I haven't been there in, well, 40 years!). It seemed too early to call restaurants this morning when I read your message, so I did some googling, and at least found this about JP's, but I'll keep at it: "And even though the mammoth crab cake was packed with breadcrumbs and fake crab meat, the flavor was pretty good."

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Thanks.  I hadn't thought of City Island (and I haven't been there in, well, 40 years!).  It seemed too early to call restaurants this morning when I read your message, so I did some googling, and at least found this about JP's, but I'll keep at it:  "And even though the mammoth crab cake was packed with breadcrumbs and fake crab meat, the flavor was pretty good."

Not sure about the crab cakes, but I went to JPs recently and was able to try the stuffed lobster. The stuffing was genuine crab meat and really great. I would definitely call and make sure they make stuffed shrimp though, and specify that you don't want it fried! If not, I would try Sammy's (very nostalgic) and Lobster Box.

I had a dish similar to this at the River Cafe last year, with an orange hollandaise and a sort of crepe underneath, Sounds hideous but aws delicious mmmmm

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

If what you are looking for is to re-live the good ole days: when mom and dad would take you out to the best seafood place they knew (probably for a birthday or anniversary). You would sit in a huge wooden booth with cracked leather while an enormous fish tank glowed above your head. The cute 19 year old waitress would flirt with your father, and your mother would order glasses of water or more bread to get her away from the table as quick as possible. Your order was the stuffed shrimp, mom the mussles, and dad would order whatever fish came with the head still attached. If this is what you are wishing to recreate, then I would have to suggest Sammys on CI.

Not sure if lobster stuffed with crabmeat would do, but if so, my husband just had it last Sunday at Segovia in Moonachie. It's really good.

I don't see stuffed shrimp on the on-line menu, but they always have a page of specials so perhaps they have that too.

Yes, crabmeat stuffed Lobster is always a favorite. A year or two ago we were craving it and I posted for suggestions, and then we tried a few places in the Ironbound with disappointing results, though I know Segovia, and haven't been there in many years. Thanks for that.

Also, the description of the stuffed Lobster at JP's sounded really good.