• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rose Water

I had a great fruit salad at Le Maison Bleu that was tossed with rose water and some powdered ginger. Served chilled, it was the perfect thing to eat before heading out in the hot sun of the summer in Morocco.

It amazed me to see the Moroccan women use rose water just like the Indian women. It is used as a astringent by both and applied on clean skin to help keep it free of blemishes and pimples.

Indians believe and most Moroccans said they do as well, that rose water is the most trusted anti-depressant and relieves anxiety. Has anyone else heard of this?

In India we add rose water to a lemon ginger tea that would be drunk first thing in the morning. In Morocco they add it to mint tea. But the purpose in both countries is to help the person driking it find relief from stress.

Many home-cooks and chefs add rose petals into their spice blends and some add rose water in the very end of cooking as a finishing garnish.

Do you have a favorite brand of rose water?

A favorite recipe from North Africa or the Middle East using rose petals or rose water?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The Lebanese brands seem to be pretty good. Not because the Lebanese make the best version :raz: , but because industry is more established over there, then say Algeria. The Lebanese brands seem to be the most available in the states.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

The Lebanese brands seem to be pretty good. Not because the Lebanese make the best version  :raz: , but because industry is more established over there, then say Algeria. The Lebanese brands seem to be the most available in the states.

I like the LEBANESE made Cortas or Al Rabih brands over here, because the Lebanese do make the best version :biggrin:.

Seriously though, whenever I can I try to get the stuff straight from my grandma's stash. she has wonderful rose bushes and uses the fragrant roses to distill her own "ma ward". The smell of the stuff cooking is unforgetable. Unfortunatly, and obviously, only a small quantity is produced from several kilos of roses so supply is limited.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

The Lebanese brands seem to be pretty good. Not because the Lebanese make the best version  :raz: , but because industry is more established over there, then say Algeria. The Lebanese brands seem to be the most available in the states.

I like the LEBANESE made Cortas or Al Rabih brands over here, because the Lebanese do make the best version :biggrin:.

Seriously though, whenever I can I try to get the stuff straight from my grandma's stash. she has wonderful rose bushes and uses the fragrant roses to distill her own "ma ward". The smell of the stuff cooking is unforgetable. Unfortunatly, and obviously, only a small quantity is produced from several kilos of roses so supply is limited.

Elie

I also use the same brands (for the same reason Elie stated above :raz::raz: ).

I would love to know what is the basic method behind preparing rose water. It is just one of those things that I always took for granted. Provided that it requires as you said a serious amount of roses, I don't know why I never thought it could be made at home from scratch, what is generally used to make ma' ward the petals only? the buds?

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

Elie

I would love to know what is the basic method behind preparing rose water. It is just one of those things that I always took for granted. Provided that it requires as you said a serious amount of roses, I don't know why I never thought it could be made at home from scratch, what is generally used to make ma' ward the petals only? the buds?

Making it at home is not a simple matter. The end product is actually distilled through a setup not unlike that used for distilling spirits. As far as I know, only the petals are used, and you have to have the not-so-pretty but VERY fragrant pink rose known in Lebanon as "Ward Joory". I doubt that your typical organic long stem rose will make a fragrant "Ma Ward".

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Elie

The Lebanese are about 200 years ahead of the Algerians in terms of technology and industry. But the Algerians are about 200 years ahead in terms culinary sophistication. Once we figure out to can and bottle things consistently you'll have some stiff competition. :biggrin:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com