• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2 Days in Barcelona

BryanZ

I second Hisop. I think there is a tasting menu for around 45 euro, and we had wonderful food there. Abac is more elegant and refined, but also more expensive. Hisop is the kind of place I would eat at 3 times a month if it was in my city.

Nate

BryanZ, you are in an enviable situation. I'll second Jamonisimo, Hisop, and Can Roca. The Boqueria certainly, you've got to at least see Las Ramblas anyway. I too had a great experience at Cinc Sentits. The setting may be more "international" than Spanish, but the cusine is outstanding and the hospitality delightful.

It is easy to get caught up in tasting menus and wine parings, but don't miss the opportunity to drink outstanding Spanish wines at relatively low prices, certainly compared to France!

Hisop, yes! They are so talented, the prices are fairly reasonable, is not hyped and offer what you pay for. I won't leave BCN to visit the Rocas. Just 2 days in Barcelona and spend one entire day going and returning to Girona...I think it can be another time, another trip.

I'd leave any place to visit Can Roca.

Ditto. I can't think of any place in Barcelona proper which outdoes Can Roca. In fact I'm going there on Friday.

Edited by Silly Disciple (log)

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

I'd leave any place to visit Can Roca.

Ditto. I can't think of any place in Barcelona proper which outdoes Can Roca. In fact I'm going there on Friday.

SD - please report back! I am already getting hungry at the thought of my meal there in April....maybe hunger is not the right emotion...more like ecstatic anticipation!

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

I will be in Barcelona from the evening of the 2nd to the morning of the 7th april...

Sort of an odd time as everything appears to be closed from the 1st to the 10th.

I was unaware of this when planning the trip, so it has made for some difficulty in finding places to eat.

I have reservations at Carme Ruscalleda for lunch on the 3rd (easiest way to get out Sant Pau anyone?)

Moo for dinner on the 4th and Abac for dinner in the 5th.

Does anyone recommend reservations for Cal Pep or Inopia or Euskal Extea?

Am I missing anything? given that Can Roca, CS, Gaig and Hisop are closed.

cheers

Edited by chester copperpot (log)

I will be in Barcelona from the evening of the 2nd to the morning of the 7th april...

Sort of an odd time as everything appears to be closed from the 1st to the 10th.

I was unaware of this when planning the trip, so it has made for some difficulty in finding places to eat. 

I have reservations at Carme Ruscalleda for lunch on the 3rd (easiest  way to get out Sant Pau anyone?)

Moo for dinner on the 4th and Abac for dinner in the 5th. 

Does anyone recommend reservations for Cal Pep or Inopia or Euskal Extea?

Am I missing anything?  given that Can Roca, CS, Gaig and Hisop are closed.

cheers

Easiest way to Sant Pau is train - Trains leave Barcelona Sants station at 12.13 (arrives 13.11), 12.43 arrives 13.41, 13.13 arrives 14.11, 13.23 arrives 14.27, 13.42 arrives 14.46, 13.54 arrives 14.59. Returning from Sant Pol 15.00, 15.17, 15.30, 15.47, 16.00, 16.17, 16.30 etc etc. The train web site is www.renfe.es. The line from Barcelona to Sant Pol is a Cercanias line.

Leave the station and turn left on C/de la Nou and Sant Pau is a few yards dow the road on your left.

Reservations for Cal Pep or Inopia or Euskal Extea?

Cal Pep - most people say it's best to sit at the bar, for which you can't reserve and I agree. Inopia - they do have a small area for reservations but again I'd do the walk in/stand up/sit on stool thing. Euskal Etxea - stand up at the front is for pintxos (basque things-on-bread snacks), the dining room is for full meals, which I haven't tried, so I can only recommend the pintxos - and I'm assuming that's what you want to come here for, anyway?

Hope this is of some help!

A couple final questions.

The girlfriend wants to know what the dress code is like at El Celler de Can Roca for lunch. Would I be okay in a suit with no tie, or should I scale it back to just slacks, collared shirt, and a nice leather jacket? The g/f feels like she should be wearing bright colors and patterns to "fit" Spain--Paris on the other hand is chic and monochromatic. She's very fashion conscious, is this appropriate?

(I was forced to make that part of the post against my will. Bear with me.)

I'm planning to visit Taktika Berri after Jamonisimo on Friday afternoon (before Alkimia that night). Based on what I've read there is no menu and reservations are recommended. Will ordering be a problem (can I just like point to stuff) and can I stroll in later in the afternoon (before its 4pm closing) without a reservation?

Taktika has a table section, but also bar seats. There shouldn't be any problem rolling along. They have pintxos plated, but also come round with hot stuff out of the kitchen (pieces of bacalao tortilla for instance). I'm just not sure that it'll be that revelatory for you, even though I know it's recommended on many threads. I suspect you'd find Quimet e Quimet more interesting, or perhaps even Dolso (another dessert place) would suit you after healthy quantities of delicious pig.

In any case PM me if you feel like meeting for a bit of foodie talk, a well-timed cava or cocktail or a market browse.

A couple final questions.

The girlfriend wants to know what the dress code is like at El Celler de Can Roca for lunch.  Would I be okay in a suit with no tie, or should I scale it back to just slacks, collared shirt, and a nice leather jacket?  The g/f feels like she should be wearing bright colors and patterns to "fit" Spain--Paris on the other hand is chic and monochromatic.  She's very fashion conscious, is this appropriate?

(I was forced to make that part of the post against my will.  Bear with me.)

I'm planning to visit Taktika Berri after Jamonisimo on Friday afternoon (before Alkimia that night).  Based on what I've read there is no menu and reservations are recommended.  Will ordering be a problem (can I just like point to stuff) and can I stroll in later in the afternoon (before its 4pm closing) without a reservation?

Can Roca is informal, slacks and a shirt are fine.

Taktika Berri, like many Basque bars, is mostly about standing close to the bar and grabbing pintxos as they are offered or brought from the kitchen. If you get there towards the end of service you'll find yourself with very little left.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

Bright colours and patterns may be Spain but they're not that Catalan - the overriding colour here is brown. Although that's more true of the older generation. Barcelona is pretty hip itself, you know - Paris, huh! But really, I don't think she should stress too much - they have it all here: from Williamsburg-style hipsters to bling label-junkies to 'normal' people. But what they almost all are is impeccably groomed, with obsessively well-behaved hair - how do they do it?! I hate them!

Sorry, end of the girl talk.

If you're interested in trying turron (and I think you should be! :biggrin: ), you might want to check out Planelles-Donat, which is near Las Ramblas. This thread has more info, with some pics I took.

Bryan you will have such an awesome trip! BCN is sooo fun! I also highly recommend I strongly recommend you go to the Boqueria and stroll the Ramblas- our afternoons were always spent having a few drinks here and people watching.

Our favorite memory is still Cal Pep- we lined up at opening time and sat at the bar for lunch. Loved it! There are some cute wine and tapas bars by the church Santa Maria del Mar that we also enjoyed hanging out in. El Xampanyet champagne bar is very fun and upbeat in the evenings and I think it is close to the pintxos bar??

Can't wait for the report uppon your return!

• 2 weeks later...

My trip report has been going on for the past couple days, and I am now retelling the Spain part of my journey. I would like to thank everyone who helped me out and gave me recommendations. Barcelona was a great time so, again, thank you.

For those interested, my travelblog begins here and also includes my time spent in London and Paris on the days prior. The Barcelona part of the trip (Jamonisimo, Tapaç 24, Abac, Can Roca, Cinc Sentits) is here.