• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum Fest in New York

Ed Hamilton

Penthouse is presenting a Rum Fest in New York October 7 at Noche restaurant. Last year they did a Vodka Fest but since rum is replacing vodka as the most popular drink this year they are hosting a Rum Fest. There will be several industry people there including myself, Luis Ayala from rumshop.net, the King of Cocktails, Dale DeGroff, and others.

Proceeds will benefit the Uniformed Firefighters Association scholarship fund which Penthouse has supported for a number of years. Penthouse knows how to fire you up and cool you off.

Penthouse Rum Fest Tickets

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Looks like I'll be able to join you on the 7th Ed. Do I need to do anything special to go?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The details are slow coming but worth the wait.

Noche Restaurant, 1604 Broadway, NYC between 48th and 49th streets

October 7 evening open to public 6:30 to 9:30

There will be Raffles, Goody Bags (for the first 500 attendees), Live Music by Forecast--playing Caribbean Jazz, dancing, lots of Rum, Fab Latin Cuisine from Noche (David Emil's first restaurant opening since the demise of Windows on the World last September 11) is on 4 levels and occupies a cavernous 18,000

Penthouse Pets will be there doing what they do best.

Rum seminar by Luis Ayala from rumshop.net

Cost is $50 to benefit the Uniformed Firefighters Association Scholarship Fund

Tickets will be available from my website and other venues (again, more details to be announced)

I'll post more as soon as the details are confirmed.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Penthouse Pets will be there doing what they do best.

and that would be :wub:

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 2 weeks later...

POSTCARD_front.jpg

Penthouse Rum Fest 2002

Celebrate and savor over 40 of the world's most spirited of spirits, RUM!! Relish delectable cuisine and sway to the live music of Forecast and LESider, the amazing harmonica player. Live it up and dance with Penthouse Pets who will lift your spirits like a tropical breeze. Proceeds to benefit the Uniformed Firefighters' Association.

Raffles, Rum senimars, Dancing, Special Prizes and more!

Noche Restaurant . 604 Broadway (between 48 and 49 st)

Monday Oct 7, 2002 . 6:30 - 9:30pm

$50 pp $60 at the door . . . . . . . Festive and Colorful Attire

First 500 Attendees recieve a Goody Bag worth over $50

Bring your Business Card for Special Drawings

Sponsored by Penthouse

Ministry of Rum . com

Happyhours.com

GotRum.com

Alcoholreviews.com

KingCocktail.com

Tickets can be purchased online at

Penthouse Rum Fest Tickets - the Ministry of Rum gift shop.

Your ticket will be sent via email.

Or by phone 212-702-6000 ex 1498 (Rum Central)

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Thank you Joy,

For those who don't know, Joy's the person that continues to make me look so good on the internet at my site Ministry of Rum

and keeps up with all the details that go into making the Minstry of Rum what it is while I'm sailing around drinking rum.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Penthouse Rum Fest Tickets (click)

In case you missed the other link to purchase, tickets here is another which will take you to Caribbean Classics, the gift shop at the Ministry of Rum where you can reserve your ticket to this event.

You will recieve an email confirmation and ticket from the Ministry of Rum which will admit you to this Oct 7 event.

See you there.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the latest rum list, just to whet your palate if you aren't already drooling,

White rums

St. Vincent Sunset Light

Ron Cortez Light

Cruzan Estate Light

Angostura Light

Brugal White

Matusalem Platino

Spiced

Four Square Spiced

Flavored

Cabana Boys Coconut

Cabana Boys Banana

Cabana Boys Kiwi-Strawberry

Cabana Boys Strawberry Banana

Marti

Whalers Coconut

Whalers Vanilla

Cruzan Pineapple

Cruzan Coconut

Cruzan Orange

Cruzan Citrus Junkanu

Cruzan Vanilla

Canne Banane

Brinley Gold Vanilla

Brinley Gold Coconut

Overproof

Unaged

Clarke's Court Original White

St. Vincent 169

Aged

Inner Circle from Australia

Dark

Ron Abuelo

St. Vincent Sunset Extra Gold

Clarke's Court Old Grog

Angostura Dark

Canne Royale

Brugal Gold

Gosling's Black Seal

Ron Cortez Añejo 3 Años

Premium

Ron Botran Anejo

Pyrat XO Planters Gold

Pyrat Pistol

Angostura 1919

Ron Abuelo Reserva Especial

Matusalem Classico

Brugal Anejo

Cruzan Estate Diamond

Inner Circle from Australia

Super Premium

Cruzan Estate Single Barrel

Doorly's XO

Matusalem Gran Reserva

Demarera El Dorado Special Reserve

Montecristo

Sea Wynde

Ron Zacapa

Pyrat Cask 23

Limited Edition

British Royal Navy Imperial Rum

See you Monday!

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

I will be with you in mind and spirit and will have a drink to the occasion. beerchug.gif Cheers...

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

Here's a photo album of the event I just put up on Imagestation:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291276561

You need to join Imagestation (free) to view it.

The pictures are quite large when you click on them for closeup, I havent had time to edit them yet for proper size and correct lighting/contrast.

some highlights:

edsexy.jpg

Ed Hamilton and cute friend...

ronzacapa.jpg

RON ZACAPA!!!!!

montecristo.jpg

Montecristo 12 year old and Penthouse Pet

cruzangirls.jpg

Penthouse Pets with Cruzan Mango, a new flavored rum coming your way soon!

As you can see, there were some very nice things at the rum fest. I hope everyone had as much fun as I did. And there were a few very pleasant surprises. Getting to meet Jason and Steve were just some of the highlights of my trip to the big apple.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

I feel bad for Luis Ayala, who had to cancel his trip last minute because his wife got sick... I really wanted to go to his seminar and meet him in person.

Maybe he can send me the material he was going to use and I can post it here?

Hi Jason,

Nice to meet you on monday at Penthouse Rumfest. I've been speaking with Ed for a couple of years and only just met him there. And thanks for posting a pic of the Montecristo lady. Made my day!

Did you get a chance to taste our Sunset Extra Gold? My daily mixer is their 169 proof, but we didn't give out too many straight shots of it at the show. A good time was had................................

realrum.com aka Malcolm

It was a pleasure meeting you Ed as well. I arrived and the band was on stage so I did my duty and made the rounds, tried some amazing rums. I didn't take notes , can't remember all the names. did try the Matusalem. Cuban born but now bred in the Dominican. good stuff. Had a delcious mojito made with some top notch stuff so by the time the night was over I was feeling no pain. Noche is a nice space with three levels. The "appies" was so-so. I'm sure that their real meals fair better. Overall a lot of fun. Penthouse does something like this every three months or so and there is a different liquor everytime. and different venue. They're good fun. Well worth the fifty bucks when you consider how much an evening of drinking in Manhattan costs these days. also a good cause....

Cheers

I'm not really that tall, the blondes are a little short. I was surprised at the Angostura but I didn't have a good taste since I had a lot to do that night. Wednesday I'll be back in Trinidad and will give it a proper tasting on board with some friends. Seems I always have friends around when it's time to try a new rum.

In spite of what some people will tell you, Sea Wynde is pretty good. Better than I thought it would be. But remember that this was rum blended for sailors on ships and not necessarily for rum connoisseurs ashore. Sea Wynde is as close as I've tasted to the rum given to sailors in the first quarter of the last century. The formula and rum has changed over the last 300 years to be sure. This is pot still rum, aged, blended and colored. I drink it with a little ginger ale. I should say that Sea Wynde is a little smoother than the original.

I look forward to getting some opinions of this rum from ex-Royal Navy sailors who literally grew up on their daily tot of rum.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com