• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paper baking pans? What's up with that?

Fat Guy

Is anybody familiar with this line of paper baking pans sold by ThePepperMillInc.com, or similar products? Maybe everybody but me is using these already, and I'm no stranger to the notion that paper ignites Fahrenheit 451 and therefore not at any normal baking temperature up to 450, but it nonetheless seems like a revolutionary idea to me. By the way you and I may say "oven safe" but the food service technical term for this is "ovenable."

For example, for six bucks you can get 25 mini loaf pans. They are, like, totally ovenable, and when you bake a mini banana bread for someone (presumably they're also banana proof) you can just give it in the paper pan and never worry about it again.

Hmm. I wonder what else could be made of paper that I haven't thought about . . . .

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

They use them too here in Korea in the big bakeries for their pound cakes. It's a pain in the rear to separate them from the cake as it sticks to the paper like glue.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

This particular manufacturer, Novacart, seems to be Italian.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Right, cupcakes are often baked in paper liners too. This just seems like a much higher level of application to me, for some reason.

King Arthur has this Christmas tree shaped pan still left on clearance. They had a greater variety in the catalog before the holidays. These paper baking pans are making their way more and more into the marketplace and are becoming more readily available to the home baker which is kinda new. I think it's the fact that it's not a liner for a pan but the pan.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

They have a nice selection at Daiso, a Japanese variety store that recently opened in Seattle (Ling says the Richmond BC store is bigger.) It's a $1.50 store - "everything $1.50 unless priced differently" I didn't look at the pricing of the paper pans.

I'm curious... what is their advantage over disposable foil pans? They seem to be more expensive and you can't wash and reuse one... do they just look 'flasher?'

Okay, I take that back... a closer read shows that the listed price is for a SET of pans, not just for one. They're a lot cheaper than foil pans, and I'd assume that as paper they're biodegradable and more environmentally friendly. Not a bad idea! I might have to get some next festive season and try them out.

They use them too here in Korea in the big bakeries for their pound cakes. It's a pain in the rear to separate them from the cake as it sticks to the paper like glue.

I bought some, but remembered this from the panattone I bought in Boston last year. Like a cupcake, the batter...what ever it is, really sticks to the paper. Now it could be that a stiffer dough, like a bread dough, wouldn't stick? I doubt it though. Can they be sprayed or does that compromise them?? I'd like to make some breads for Easter, or even mini king cakes in them as desserts @ Mardi Gras.