• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gift tin of Shortbread Cookies

markk

Last year as a gift for the staff at my doctor's office, I bought a big, festive tin of shortbread cookies - the name seemed to strike a bell with me (though it may not have been Walker's) but it was a gigantic tin that looked really nice.

Well, to say that they loved it was an understatement. They raved about those cookies for months.

I'd love to buy them another tin, but I can't find them because I don't know what brand they could have been. For a while I thought maybe Walkers, but they simply don't offer a giant tin of them anything like the one I got, and I can't find any others in an impressive, or large tin.

Can anybody suggest a good brand of butter cookies that might come in a several pound, festive box?

A million thanks for your help !!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Mark, you might find something which will fulfill the requirements you seek here ... they are discussed in full: gift cookies review ... from the venerable Cooks Illustrated ... I'd love to try Yoku Moku Clinq Delices from Saks Fifth Avenue

...a festive cookie tin was filled with 52 buttery shortbread cookies—each of five varieties had its own colorful, seasonal wrapper. Varieties included milk chocolate, almond, macadamia, and plain, plus several rolled vanilla butter cookies (“cigars”).

Tasters’ Comments: The cookies, which contain no additives, preservatives, or chemicals, won high praise from our tasters, who liked the “buttery” taste of the cookies, finding them light, crisp, very fresh, and “obviously made with high-quality ingredients.”

Me? I have a deep-seated affection for Walker's Shortbread .. buttery and perfect in terms of sweetness ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I saw giant tins of "Danish" butter cookies at Sam's Club, Costco, Staples and Wal-Mart prior to the holidays.

Call Staples, one of the stores I was in between Christmas and New Years had a big stack of them next to a huge display of those big popcorn tins.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

now that its post christmas you can get the after christmas sales for shortbread! walkers is always good, easily available and nicely priced. duchy originals also makes certain shortbreadish cookies; they are made for them by walkers by the way.

most shortbreads made in scotland are sublime, as are their tins.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Large gift tins of Walkers shortbread cookies are available at Costco (or were, when I last checked), and they may be available at Sam's Club stores as well. They change their gift boxes every year, so the tins may not look exactly the same. Is it possible you bought them there?

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Large gift tins of Walkers shortbread cookies are available at Costco (or were, when I last checked), and they may be available at Sam's Club stores as well. They change their gift boxes every year, so the tins may not look exactly the same. Is it possible you bought them there?

I think I got them on-line (because I haven't been to a Costco or similar store in a few years, at least not at Christmas-time for sure). The only Walker's I can find on-line now are small tins, and the last one was certainly at least a foot deep and a good 18" to 24" wide (as I say, it may not have been actual Walker's), the point being that it was a very impressive size, one that said "I really appreciate you all", and even after many days of searching the net, I can't find a similar presentation, and not only would I like it to be large, I'd also like it to be good cookies. Are the Danish ones good cookies? These gals just raved and raved about the quality of the cookies, which I never actually tasted.

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I think I got them on-line (because I haven't been to a Costco or similar store in a few years, at least not at Christmas-time for sure). The only Walker's I can find on-line now are small tins, and the last one was certainly at least a foot deep and a good 18" to 24" wide (as I say, it may not have been actual Walker's), the point being that it was a very impressive size, one that said "I really appreciate you all", and even after many days of searching the net, I can't find a similar presentation, and not only would I like it to be large, I'd also like it to be good cookies. Are the Danish ones good cookies? These gals just raved and raved about the quality of the cookies, which I never actually tasted.

The "Danish" cookies? YAK, IMHO! They're what you grab at the last possible minute when the liquor store's closed and you absolutely HAVE to bring something for a hostess gift. :blink:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Mark,  you might find something which will fulfill the requirements you seek here ... they are discussed in full: gift cookies review ... from the venerable Cooks Illustrated ... I'd love to try Yoku Moku Clinq Delices from Saks Fifth Avenue
...a festive cookie tin was filled with 52 buttery shortbread cookies—each of five varieties had its own colorful, seasonal wrapper. Varieties included milk chocolate, almond, macadamia, and plain, plus several rolled vanilla butter cookies (“cigars”).

Tasters’ Comments: The cookies, which contain no additives, preservatives, or chemicals, won high praise from our tasters, who liked the “buttery” taste of the cookies, finding them light, crisp, very fresh, and “obviously made with high-quality ingredients.”

Me? I have a deep-seated affection for Walker's Shortbread .. buttery and perfect in terms of sweetness ...

Thanks !! A better lead, I couldn't have asked for. I have just ordered the giant tin (90+ cookies) known as "Yoku Moku Grand Cinq Delice" (!!!)

Odds are someone in the medical office saved the tin.

You could always try to find out who kept it and contact them to ask what brand name is printed on it.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thanks !!  A better lead, I couldn't have asked for.  I have just ordered the giant tin (90+ cookies) known as "Yoku Moku Grand Cinq Delice" (!!!)

I am so pleased that I could be of assistance, Mark! These are a lot better than those ho-hum tins of "Danish Butter Cookies" one can buy at any old grocery ... the quality of the better cookies rests upon the buttery taste plus the texture and the lingering aftertaste.. mouthfeel very important to me ...

Neiman Marcus

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Odds are someone in the medical office saved the tin.

You could always try to find out who kept it and contact them to ask what brand name is printed on it.

Oy, well that's a thought too.

I'm not a big cookie fan, so a lot of this was lost on me. But a couple of weeks ago I was in, and one of the girls said, "Do you remember the cookies you got us last year?" and I said, "sure", and she said "they were so delicious that we ate them for weeks, and then I packed some up and sent them to my family in the Philippines."

I didn't think to ask if they still knew the brand!