• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ham hocks, skin and all

Smithy

This sounds like it is 'schweinshaxe' and is wonderful as they serve it at Haxenbauer in Munich. The German Food Guide shows it roasted and prepared in sauerkraut.

Edited by heidih
Fix link (log)

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

Glad I found this topic, I bought a pork hock instead of a ham hock (which would have been for soup) by accident at the end of a recent trip to the butchers, I was thinking bout salting them along with some ox tongue I picked up at the time, however I am going to have a crack at the bouchons recipe posted by dockhl. Looks good!

Glad I found this topic, I bought a pork hock instead of a ham hock (which would have been for soup) by accident at the end of a recent trip to the butchers, I was thinking bout salting them along with some ox tongue I picked up at the time, however I am going to have a crack at the bouchons recipe posted by dockhl. Looks good!

This is a really great dish. The only difficult part is getting all the sticky rich meat out of the hocks (but that's not too hard either). In the original recipe from the book, Keller suggests mache but I like bitter greens. It is an extremely rich dish that needs some sturdy wine.

nunc est bibendum...