• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly Reading Terminal Area Question

KarenSherwood

The Reading Terminal Market is wheelchair accessible, but the aisles are extremely crowded on Saturdays, to the point where anyone in a wheelchair would have great difficulty maneuvering through the market.

Lots of tasty options once you're inside, though. Salumeria or Carmen's for hoagies, Dienner's for rotisserie chicken, DiNic's for roast pork, Mezze for Mediterranean fare, By George for pizza...the list goes on and on. The seating area in the center court of the market can accommodate your friend in the wheelchair, but I refer you to my comment about Saturdays above. Coming on a Sunday would be better.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Before 11 a.m. on a Saturday the RTM would be navigable in a wheelchair. And since the market is now open on Sundays, that may work out even better, since traffic is lighter on Sunday (though far from empty).

Eating at any of the RTM establishments shouldn't be an issue, since every restaurant-type vendor will pack so you can eat in center court, where there are tables and plastic picnic-style chairs. At a few, you'll be able to eat at the establishment's tables, too (Down Home Diner, Delilah's and a few others)

As for where to eat, all of Sandy's suggestions are good ones (though to my taste Salumeria's hoagies are preferred to Carmen's). Other possibilities include Nanee's (South Asian), Delilah's (soul), Down Home Diner, Sang Kee for noodle soup with roast duck or pork. And if anyone in your party has less adventurous tastes, there's nothing wrong with a sandwich from Bassett's Turkey or Spataro's. Save room for dessert: Bassett's Ice Cream (a different store than the turkey spot), a cupcake or two from Flying Monkey, sticky-icky baked goods from Beiler's (Pennslvania Dutch).

Although there are better places in town for a cheese steak, at the RTM Rick's prepares an acceptable version. Spataro's has added cheese steaks to their menu, but I haven't tried them yet. But in any event, Tommy DiNic's roast pork sandwich (ask for it with provolone and greens) would be a better bet.

Of course, if you're at the RTM you're only two or three blocks away from many of the city's best Chinese restaurants. More often than not they are accessible. Szechuan Tasty House would be one (Arch near 9th).

Breakfast at the RTM would be easily manageable for someone in a wheelchair given that it's rarely crowded, though lines can form at the Down Home Diner and the Dutch Eating Place (though the latter is not conducive to eating-in for anyone in a wheelchair), especially on a holiday weekend. For breakfast I often just get a cup of coffee at Old City Coffee and a croissant, danish or foccacia at Metropolitan Bakery.

The holiday Saturdays will be busy and crowded at the RTM, though I think you would do fine if you don't plan on being there between 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Sundays would be easier still, but keep in mind that the Pennsylvania Dutch merchants and eateries won't be open, nor will some other merchants. On Sundays the RTM is open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; all other days from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Before 11 a.m. on a Saturday the RTM would be navigable in a wheelchair. And since the market is now open on Sundays, that may work out even better, since traffic is lighter on Sunday (though far from empty).

Eating at any of the RTM establishments shouldn't be an issue, since every restaurant-type vendor will pack so you can eat in center court, where there are tables and plastic picnic-style chairs. At a few, you'll be able to eat at the establishment's tables, too (Down Home Diner, Delilah's and a few others)

As for where to eat, all of Sandy's suggestions are good ones (though to my taste Salumeria's hoagies are preferred to Carmen's). Other possibilities include Nanee's (South Asian), Delilah's (soul), Down Home Diner, Sang Kee for noodle soup with roast duck or pork. And if anyone in your party has less adventurous tastes, there's nothing wrong with a sandwich from Bassett's Turkey or Spataro's. Save room for dessert: Bassett's Ice Cream (a different store than the turkey spot), a cupcake or two from Flying Monkey, sticky-icky baked goods from Beiler's (Pennslvania Dutch).

Although there are better places in town for a cheese steak, at the RTM Rick's prepares an acceptable version. Spataro's has added cheese steaks to their menu, but I haven't tried them yet. But in any event, Tommy DiNic's roast pork sandwich (ask for it with provolone and greens) would be a better bet.

Of course, if you're at the RTM you're only two or three blocks away from many of the city's best Chinese restaurants. More often than not they are accessible. Szechuan Tasty House would be one (Arch near 9th).

Breakfast at the RTM would be easily manageable for someone in a wheelchair given that it's rarely crowded, though lines can form at the Down Home Diner and the Dutch Eating Place (though the latter is not conducive to eating-in for anyone in a wheelchair), especially on a holiday weekend. For breakfast I often just get a cup of coffee at Old City Coffee and a croissant, danish or foccacia at Metropolitan Bakery.

The holiday Saturdays will be busy and crowded at the RTM, though I think you would do fine if you don't plan on being there between 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Sundays would be easier still, but keep in mind that the Pennsylvania Dutch merchants and eateries won't be open, nor will some other merchants. On Sundays the RTM is open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; all other days from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

I do see a woman in a wheelchair almost every Saturday in the market and she seems to be getting around well, albiet the crowd, which can be enormous this time of year.

All of the suggestions for food are good by the way but I'd pass on the Down Home Diner. After not going there for years we tried it last week and the food has not improved, as we tried a pulled pork sandwich that tasted of heavy vinegar and spices but sadly little else. By the way the thai place near Terminis (which has great pastries!) serves a fabulous salmon special, and also the Dutch Eating Place does a thriving take-out business and there is a large seating area nearby.

Enjoy your visit!

"Spataro's has added cheese steaks to their menu, but I haven't tried them yet. But in any event, Tommy DiNic's roast pork sandwich (ask for it with provolone and greens) would be a better bet. "

I had a Spataro's cheese steak yesterday. I'd give it a 4 or5 out of 10. Not bad, not great. Not a classic philly steak. I didn't see any wiz and the only cheese offered was provolone or american. Onions are fried to order, so they aren't slowly browning on the grill and developing that lovely sweetness. I did get my sandwich around 10:00 am, so maybe they don't start sauteeing onions until later.

Btw, rlibkind, was that you taking pictures at Iovines around 9:15ish yesterday?

Edited by wkl (log)

I'm a cheesesteak purist, it's Pat's or nothing for me (brainwashed as a kid).

Things have changed a great deal since (1) you were a kid (2) you left Philadelphia.

Pat's is still good, but other places have eclipsed it. Tony Luke's at Front and Oregon, to name just one. Steve's Prince of Steaks in the Northeast also produces a sandwich that now puts Pat's to shame. I'm sure others will chime in with more examples.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 1 year later...

Unless someone can direct me to the "real" Reading Terminal Market thread (if one such exists), I will offer my thoughts on my recent foray into the market here.

I posted a rather detailed write-up, with photos, of my crawl through RTM at the ulterior epicure.

I won't go into the details here, since most seem familiar with the place and its food. However, I do want to send a big thanks to all those who encouraged me to get:

1. DiNic's roast pork sandwich with sharp Provolone and greens,

2. Salumeria's Italian hoagie,

3. Fisher's warm buttered pretzel

All excellent (and cheap!). I commend all three to anyone who happens through the market.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Nice write-up, those are generally the places I try to hit when I roll through the Terminal.

One note: you didn't see any "Dutch Pancakes" at the Dutch Eating Place, because the "Pennsylvania Dutch" aren't actually Dutch. The Amish originally emigrated from Germany, but apparently Pennsylvanians couldn't pronounce "Deutsch."

So Amish cuisine is somewhat influenced by German cooking, but is mostly just heartland farm food. In any case, not Dutch.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

One note: you didn't see any "Dutch Pancakes" at the Dutch Eating Place, because the "Pennsylvania Dutch" aren't actually Dutch.  The Amish originally emigrated from Germany, but apparently Pennsylvanians couldn't pronounce "Deutsch." 

So Amish cuisine is somewhat influenced by German cooking, but is mostly just heartland farm food.  In any case, not Dutch.

And, there you go. I learn something every day. Thanks philadining.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Ulterior:

The greens at Dinic's change all the time. I love it also when they use broccoli rabe.

Also, Salumeria's vegetarian hoagie is to die for! Although we're not vegetarians, we often order this for lunch. Just great.

And, if r&d are on vacation again, Basset's plain vanilla is what they are known for. Brilliant.

Philly Francophiles

Ulterior:

The greens at Dinic's change all the time. I love it also when they use broccoli rabe.

Also, Salumeria's vegetarian hoagie is to die for! Although we're not vegetarians, we often order this for lunch. Just great.

And, if r&d are on vacation again, Basset's plain vanilla is what they are known for. Brilliant.

Now that you mention it, I do recall members of this forum referring to the rabe. We definitely got baby spinach. It won't be hard to convince me to circle back to try it again.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Ulterior:

Now that you mention it, I do recall members of this forum referring to the rabe. We definitely got baby spinach. It won't be hard to convince me to circle back to try it again.

I was told DiNic's now had both options available on an ongoing basis. I've gotten rabe pretty much every time I've been there in the last few months.

At some point you have to take the trip South and check out Tony Luke's and John's Roast Pork's sandwiches. And John's actually makes a cheesesteak I like a lot, though I'm not as fond of their roast pork as some here.

Personally, I've never understood the appeal of Bassett's: it's not bad ice cream, usually, but that's all it is: not-bad ice cream. If r+d is unavailable next time, I suggest you go across the aisle to the Pennsylvania General Store and get some Jubillee/John&Kira chocolates. Best mint anywhere.

As to the "real" RTM thread, you can find it here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=303

Ulterior:

I was told DiNic's now had both options available on an ongoing basis. I've gotten rabe pretty much every time I've been there in the last few months.

Personally, I've never understood the appeal of Bassett's: it's not bad ice cream, usually, but that's all it is: not-bad ice cream. If r+d is unavailable next time, I suggest you go across the aisle to the Pennsylvania General Store and get some Jubillee/John&Kira chocolates. Best mint anywhere.

As to the "real" RTM thread, you can find it here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=303

Not to disappoint you, but the PA General Store has Asher's Chocolates. The one John and Kira's store that had it in the market (Caviar Assouline) closed a while back.

Personally, I never liked John and Kira's chocolates (except for the mint ones that tasted like fresh mint) or the r+d ones that I have tried. I prefer those hazelnut Neuhaus bars (found at DiBruno's), the marquis chocolates at the Naked Chocolate Cafe or the mik chocolate peanut butter covered pretzels at Mueller's Chocolates in the market.

Bassett's is ok, especially the cinnamon and pumpkin combo I get this time of year. The problem is, with the Capogiro addiction, I'm usually saturated by the time I hit Bassett's in the afternoon.

Chalk my vote up for the rabe (also made fresh every day).

UE, You did try the pancakes at the Dutch Eating Place, right?

Edited by Bluehensfan (log)

Bassett's is ok,...The problem is, with the Capogiro addiction,...

Since I've probably over-stated my enthusiasm for il Capogiro, I wasn't going to say it. But, I'm glad you did.

No.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Bassett's is ok,...The problem is, with the Capogiro addiction,...

Since I've probably over-stated my enthusiasm for il Capogiro, I wasn't going to say it. But, I'm glad you did.

No.

You gotta try the pancakes your next visit...they are the best. Also, next visit you may want to try a bun from Beiler's Bakery

Hopefully the 13th St. location of Capogiro will have bacio this Saturday (conspicuously missing the past two weeks). I want to avoid having a conniption.

Re: Bassetts vs. Capogiro. That's like debating apples vs. pears. Their both good! Gelato is gelato and ice cream is ice cream. Yes, they're both frozen treats, and it's perfectly fine to have a preference for gelato over ice cream or ice cream over gelato. But they are different products.

There are lots of great ice creams out there, and Bassetts is among them. Most of the flavors are true (I'm partial to rum raisin), the butterfat content suitably high, and the overrun perfect (I don't care for low overrun ice creams like Ben & Jerry's; it's got to have some air to create the mouth-feel I enjoy; likewise, too much overrun, frequently found in cheaper ice creams, is not a good thing).

Asher's isn't the only chocolate carried by the Pennsylvania General Store. If you haven't tried the Neuchatel truffles, you're missing a treat. They are made in Oxford, Chester County, by a little old Swiss chocolatier, Albert Lauber who represents the fifth generation of his chocolate-making family. (And the Pennsylvania General Store also sells Wilbur Buds: the original Hershey Kiss.)

Confirming Capaneus's understanding, DiNic's does have both rabe and spinach daily. And though I find it hard to order anything other the pork sandwich, I do occasionally stray into roast beef territory. Tommy's medium-rare cold roast beef (get it with horseradish and peppers) is yummy.

I've never been a big fan of Beiler's baked goods. It's more a matter of I don't like that style of sweet goods rather than they don't do a competent job.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Re: Bassetts vs. Capogiro. That's like debating apples vs. pears. Their both good! Gelato is gelato and ice cream is ice cream. Yes, they're both frozen treats, and it's perfectly fine to have a preference for gelato over ice cream or ice cream over gelato. But they are different products.

There are lots of great ice creams out there, and Bassetts is among them. Most of the flavors are true (I'm partial to rum raisin), the butterfat content suitably high, and the overrun perfect (I don't care for low overrun ice creams like Ben & Jerry's; it's got to have some air to create the mouth-feel I enjoy; likewise, too much overrun, frequently found in cheaper ice creams, is not a good thing).

This was my experience with Bassett's:

Pralines and Cream was all cream with too few pralines. The Rum Raisin was much better – generously spiked but without much raisin. At $2.10 (+ tax) a pop, I’d double back for another pretzel at Fisher’s instead or scoot on over to Capogiro, which we did, promptly after dumping the remains of the over-creamy, thick, and hard ice cream.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Not to disappoint you, but the PA General Store has Asher's Chocolates. The one John and Kira's store that had it in the market (Caviar Assouline) closed a while back.

Personally, I never liked John and Kira's chocolates (except for the mint ones that tasted like fresh mint) or the r+d ones that I have tried.

Our mileages on chocolate clearly differ widely. But as to availability, it is definitely the case that Pa General Store has carried Jubilee in the not too distant past. I'd need to check whether that has changed, but as of a couple of months ago I was able to purchase them. You had to ask, but they were for sale.

Assouline's, on the other hand, stopped carrying them, at all its locations, long before the RTM store closed.

Whatever the case, Asher's is also truly outstanding chocolate, so the general notion stands.