• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stop and Shop Gelato

skidude72

I've never had the "fun dips" or the gelatos, but I have stumbled upon their new line of sweet snacks. They have some chocolates, sweet nut concoctions, and cookies. If you really want to blow your mind away with flavor, trie the blueberry graham almonds...they are very creative, unique and delicious

As experimental as I've got in my life, I've never had the true and authentic gelato. My sister says it tastes and feels like really good ice cream but with the fruity flavor intensity of a first-class sherbet or sorbet. Is that close? Am I missing out?

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

Reef,

Gelato is significantly different from ice cream. As I understand it:

1. It is made from whole milk, not cream (Northern Italy uses some cream) resulting in a butterfat content as low as 4%. In the US it cannot be labeled as ice cream which requires 12% (I think) butterfat.

2. It is very dense with little overrun, or air churned into the mix. Actually much less air is incorporated than premium US ice creams. They use either slow churning (I use a Donvier) or a paddle that incorporates almost no air.

3. It is made with lots of egg yolks, maybe twice as much as US custard.

4. It is served at about 25 degrees, compared to 15 degrees with ice cream.

5. Flavors are added by infusing. They do not use flavor syrups.

The warm temp, high density, emulsified yolks and low fat allow for a creamy texture that melts almost instantly. That accounts for the flavor burst in your mouth from a tiny spoonful.

I hope that this helps. There may be some experts out there.

Tim

Are you saying that Stop & Shop has in-store gelato bars where you can buy the stuff fresh, or that they have a house brand to be found in containers in their freezer section?

The method of delivery is going to make a difference in the texture of the product.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 4 weeks later...
Are you saying that Stop & Shop has in-store gelato bars where you can buy the stuff fresh, or that they have a house brand to be found in containers in their freezer section?

The method of delivery is going to make a difference in the texture of the product.

House brand in containers.