• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

butter cheese

prasantrin

I have a relative large block of butter cheese, purchased in Canada, in my fridge. I'd like to do something with it (other than eat it straight), but I don't even know what it is. I thought it might be similar to Muenster, but it doesn't have that telltale orange rind.

Might someone here know what kind of cheese it is, or what would be the best use of it? Sharp? Mild? Good melting cheese? I haven't opened it, yet, as the block is quite large for me to consume in a short period of time. Any helpful hints would be appreciated!

The butter cheese that I've purchased before was pale and almost butter yellow in colour. It was a very mild, semi-soft cheese (that's to say, it had a very creamy texture, but was still possible to slice - albeit with some difficulty). "Buttery" is really the best way I can describe the taste. I never did cook with it - just purchased some to have on sandwiches, where it was very welcome alongside the other ingredients.

Sorry I can't be more help - I did really enjoy it, but only had it in the sandwiches and on crackers. :rolleyes:

I remember something called Chutter from Hickory Farms about 25 years ago....just barely spreadable buttery cheese

Mmmm I still miss that stuff.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Butter cheese is another food product brought to you by the P-Dutch. I would melt it and use it with a stronger cheese.. They sell butter cheese at a Local Amish place I go to.. Its very mild.. You could use it in a base for mac and cheese or something.. Its not strong enough for me.. I would like to hear what you end up doing with it. Or if you get a slice of ring bologna and some good mustard, thats all you ever could possibly want.

Edited by Daniel (log)

I'm with Daniel....Mac and Cheese is a good use for the incredibly mild (I too would recommend, strongly, using with another cheese....b.c this cheese, although yummy and excellent in texture, is not too flavorful). It is also good for grilled cheese (again, use with another cheese), or melted on vegies....the texture makes us really good on vegies - to jazz them up.

Enjoy - and I too would ask that you report back to us with your final decision in usage, as well as your reviews on the usage!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

You might find further information by trawling Google for 'Butterkäse'. The recipe for 'Paraguayan Polenta loaf with Butter cheese' I found that way didn't seem wildly exciting, but maybe you'll be more persistent than I was :smile:

• 1 month later...

Thanks, all, for the advice!

I got back a week ago and I made mac & cheese over the weekend. I used a mixture of parmesan, gruyere, cheddar, and the butter cheese. When I tasted the butter cheese, I was surprised that it seemed to have more flavour than the cheddar I was using (some generic white English cheddar from Costco in Japan). After baking, though, it seemed to have lost any flavour it had. Considering the lack of flavour of the cheddar and butter cheeses, I should have added much more parmesan and gruyere!

However, I used some of the butter cheese in the topping, and it was nice and stringy! I'm going to use it in grilled cheese, and perhaps on French onion soup. With the french onion soup, I mostly use cheese more for the ooey gooey stringiness factor than flavour, so the butter cheese will fit perfectly!

I quite like the cheese plain, though, and can imagine that a good chunk of it will end up eaten as is! Or maybe with a bit of jam on a cracker...

Yay I am happy to hear you will soon be using it for grilled cheese (my recommendation!!!).

Again - I would recommend you use with another cheese, such as butter cheese and swiss, or butter cheese and a strong cheddar or Gruyere).

Please report back, I would love to hear how your grilled turned out! What kind of bread are you using too? I love sourdough or french with my grilled cheese creations! Seriously...sour dough gives it a great kick! Any chance we will see pictures? PLEASSSEEE? * folds hands and get on knees as she begs* tee-hee

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I've bought it several times. It's mild and very rich.

It's not particularly good plain or on crackers, but comes into its own when melted, and all the butter comes out.

It makes great toasted cheese sandwiches and is also great in an omlette, but you need to melt the cheese first and use what comes out of it instead of putting butter in the pan. Otherwise it's cloying.

I think it would be fantastic in a fondue.

I made a grilled cheese sandwich using butter cheese and gruyere--an equal (almost) amount of each cheese. I did use a little butter in the pan, but very little compared to how much I usually use (I only used about 1 tsp in total)! I used it because my bread (the no-knead bread from the NYT, with about 25% whole wheat) was a bit dense and I thought the ooze from the cheese wouldn't penetrate it as much as I like.

Pics are a bit blurry. I forgot my camera at work, so I had to use my cell phone.

It was perfect, by the way! I think it's my new favourite grilled cheese combo!

gallery_11355_1724_10825.jpg

gallery_11355_1724_12602.jpg

I made a grilled cheese sandwich using butter cheese and gruyere--an equal (almost) amount of each cheese.  I did use a little butter in the pan, but very little compared to how much I usually use (I only used about 1 tsp in total)!  I used it because my bread (the no-knead bread from the NYT, with about 25% whole wheat) was a bit dense and I thought the ooze from the cheese wouldn't penetrate it as much as I like. 

Pics are a bit blurry.  I forgot my camera at work, so I had to use my cell phone. 

It was perfect, by the way!  I think it's my new favourite grilled cheese combo!

gallery_11355_1724_10825.jpg

gallery_11355_1724_12602.jpg

OMG prasantrin - that looks wonderful - kudos to you!!!

See - Buttercheese and gruyere....gret combo!