• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Emulsions: Better Cooking Through Science 01

Chris Amirault

You may have added something: you introduced the salty anchovies after the emulsion was formed, not before, as I did.

But he had 2 egg yolks...

Bud

Quite agree with both of you.

I think sequence is important if not critical in forming emulsions. Thus the late anchovies don't cause a break.

And, yes, I had a strong emulsifier in the egg yolks. Made life much easier.

My theories anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive noticed a trend in my neck of the woods (ottawa) to use the term 'emulsion,' instead of the much used "foam." I dont think Ive seen this term used anywhere else so Im wondering if this is ottawa specific.

At my restaurant we generally try out a new emulsion every few days, with varrying degrees of success. These have been anything from foie, bacon, carrot to salt or vinegar. Ive used loads of stabalizers. Including xanthangum, agar, eggs, gellatin, mustard, to duck fat (not a success.)

Im curious if if anyone else uses the term this way. Also I was wondering if there are any available guidelines on how to make the best foams with a variety of ingredients.

Edited by Michaeltheonion (log)

I'm not sure about my 'neck of the woods' but I use the term 'foam' to describe 'foam.'

To combine the meaning of the two words would make describing ice cream chemistry close to impossible, as ice cream is both a foam and an emulsion.

• 1 month later...

Interesting experiment last night: I rubbed a stainless bowl with the cut side of a clove of garlic, added a couple of tablespoons of lemon, and then whisked in some olive oil. There was a very stable emulsion to which I added salt, pepper, and minced shallot.

I was surprised at two things. First, the amount of garlic "oil" that rubbed onto the stainless steel was pretty minimal, but it was enough to provide the needed emulsifying effect. Second, I couldn't taste the garlic at all.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts