• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eponymous Dishes

Priscilla

Over in the Peasant Origins discussion there was mention of dishes that are named for the dish in which they are cooked.

Adam Balic cited tagine, the stew of Morrocan origin and its special cooking vessel of the same name, and also French cuisine's tall marmite, which sometimes holds a stew also so called.

And terrine, of course, describes both contents and container. Less specific, but strongly identified, is casserole and cocotte and gratin.

Is paella cooked in a paella? Is a pudding basin ever called a pudding? Do hoe-cakes count?

...Other instances of the dish-naming-the-dish, o eGullet members?

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Casserole?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Baeckeoffe, in the Alsatian region of France

Cocotte, with respect to the French dish Oeufs en cocotte (eggs)

Winter melon soup in Chinese cuisine, involving the use of a hollowed out savory winter melon with remaining flesh as the container in which soup and diced meats (e.g., ham, chicken) and other vegetables are cooked

Analogous: Teppanyaki style of Japanese cooking, for the steel surface on which foods are cooked

Timbale (a mould utilized in French cuisine), after which savory plates (sometimes vegetable accompaniments) or desserts may be named on certain restaurant menus

The French dish Bresse poulet/poularde en vessie, or Bresse chicken cooked in a pig's bladder (Paul Bocuse made a version of this dish that I have yet to sample; Jacques Lameloise makes pigeonneau en vessie)

Possibly -- Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap, the Korean dish in which a stone pot houses Bi Bim Bap (I do not know whether "Dol Sot" in Korean means stone pot)

Analogous -- The Chinese dish fried rice wrapped in lotus leaves, which imbues the rice and accompanying ingredients with the aroma of the leaves in which it is cooked

Priscilla, it's a pot.  And it's on a fire.  And it's the name of the dish.  I got one, didn't I?   :blink:

Yes, of course, if I have anything to say about it. Actually a THREEfer, the way you spell it out up there.

What I meant was the invocation of pot au feu got me thinking.... Like hoe-cake, in that the vessel, in the case of hoe-cakes a hoe in pot au feu a pot, as conveyor, gives its name to the resulting dish. Wow this is making me hungry for pot au feu. Pretty clearly going that direction, from vessel to food.

Priscilla

What I meant was the invocation of pot au feu got me thinking.... Like hoe-cake, in that the vessel, in the case of hoe-cakes a hoe in pot au feu a pot, as conveyor, gives its name to the resulting dish.  Wow this is making me hungry for pot au feu.  Pretty clearly going that direction, from vessel to food.

One more time, in the style of free verse:

What I meant

was the invocation

of pot au feu.

got me thinking

Like hoe-cake, in that the vessel,

in the case of hoe-cakes a hoe

in pot au feu a pot, as conveyor,

gives its name to the resulting dish.

Wow

this is making me hungry

for pot au feu.

Pretty clearly

going that direction,

from vessel to food.

I assume that the American "sub" is short for "submarine", and that's a vessel isn't it ?

I suppose this would follow thru if the galley on board the Sub actually prepared the sandwiches... :raz:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I think English recognises hotch potch and hodge podge equally.  I certainly do.

And the Dutch have Hutspot.

Cataplana - a Portuguese seafood dish and also the name of the copper pot it is cooked in. My neighbor brought me some yummy mussels served in one... it makes a nice presentation, but they are tricky. Click here to see one.

Would raclette qualify? We have a tabletop raclette machine which includes individual serving/cooking trays for melting a slice of raclette to be served over potatoes.

Cataplana, which I'd seen pictured but didn't know the name of, is a good one, Blue Heron.

Raclette is an interesting case, I mean, it's the cheese AND the resulting dish. Is raclette the cheese ever used another way?

(And I wonder if you could advise, from your unique Swiss-informed perspective--is the raclette I often see at Trader Joe's any good?)

Priscilla

Raclette is an interesting case, I mean, it's the cheese AND the resulting dish.  Is raclette the cheese ever used another way?

(And I wonder if you could advise, from your unique Swiss-informed perspective--is the raclette I often see at Trader Joe's any good?)

Yes, we like the Trader Joes raclette, as do our Swiss friends (good price, too). (Trader Joes also has the cheapest prices on Emmenthaler, Gruyer and Appenzeller). To our knowledge, raclette cheese is never served as anthing other than the dish "Raclette", but swissmiss may be able to weigh in on this, too.

Good to know, Blue Heron. (If I ever attempt raclette at home--it is very appealing!) For Gruyere and Emmenthaler, can't-be-without-'em staples, I have always relied on TJ, too. The cheese department there continues to be relevant, holding its own against encroaching pre-prepared items. So far.

Priscilla