• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saturday lunch in Landsdale recs

Jeff L

We are going to visit Hendricks Farms this Saturday for some cheeses to have for Thanksgiving. As I am totally unfamiliar with the Landsdale/Harleysville area, can anyone point to a nice place for Saturday lunch close by?

No particular cuisine in mind here, just something enjoyable and good.

For the Harleysville side of things, think of the following:

The Mainland Inn is quite good for lunch... Sumneytown Pike between Harleysville and the Turnpike exit in Kulpsville. Very well executed classic American. The most formal option in the area.

For stellar sandwiches, a jaunt over to Skippack's Italian Market is the thing. Route 73 just before Route 113. Eat in, or take out... Very good cured meats and cheeses and bread add up to great sandwiches.

Skippack has lots of other restaurant options as well.

I'd suggest Ortino's on Route 29 up closer to Perkiomenville, but they don't do lunch.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head...

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

There are a number of choices in Skippack, about 15 min. from the farm; Parc Bistro(American/Italian), Tokyo (sushi); Brasserie 73, or Hotel Fiesole (new pricy Eurostyle hotel) are all good, even if owned by the same guy (sort of the Steven Starr of Skippack??). None are cheap.

The Bell House may or may not be reopened by now, its not even 3 minutes from the farm.

Ariel is north on Allentown road by 10 minutes-hear good things about that.

Keep in mind that you might be too stuffed from samples to want lunch.

For the Harleysville side of things, think of the following:

The Mainland Inn is quite good for lunch... Sumneytown Pike between Harleysville and the Turnpike exit in Kulpsville.  Very well executed classic American.  The most formal option in the area.

For stellar sandwiches, a jaunt over to Skippack's Italian Market is the thing.  Route 73 just before Route 113. Eat in, or take out... Very good cured meats and cheeses and bread add up to great sandwiches.

Skippack has lots of other restaurant options as well. 

I'd suggest Ortino's on Route 29 up closer to Perkiomenville, but they don't do lunch.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head...

For stellar sandwiches, a jaunt over to Skippack's Italian Market is the thing.  Route 73 just before Route 113. Eat in, or take out... Very good cured meats and cheeses and bread add up to great sandwiches.

I think I've had the roast pork sandwich there if it's the same place I think it is. An Italian deli with a few tables, lots of packaged pastas and the like for sale. If this is the place (just off the main road in Skippack) then you are right. It was the best roast pork I've had since Tony Luke's or John's.

Thinking that's probably where we'll end up if we aren't too jammed from the samples I hear about on the farm.

I used to have a big client out that way (Haines and Kibblehouse)

They rotate the hot sandwich availability, so don't count on the roast pork being there... but they do a great sausage and peppers too... and if you have to settle for a hoagie, you're still going to be pleased.

They've got quite a lot of seating in there, actually... there is the deli room with all of the pasta and canned Italian stuff and such for sale, and there are the adjacent rooms off to the right which are all seating. I've never seen it get very full, but they could seat a lot of people in there.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

They rotate the hot sandwich availability, so don't count on the roast pork being there... but they do a great sausage and peppers too...  and if you have to settle for a hoagie, you're still going to be pleased.

They've got quite a lot of seating in there, actually... there is the deli room with all of the pasta and canned Italian stuff and such for sale, and there are the adjacent rooms off to the right which are all seating.  I've never seen it get very full, but they could seat a lot of people in there.

I remember them having different sandwiches on different days and I also have had the hoagies there. They were in fact very good indeed. I remember being happy to have stumbled on to the place as all my other meals in the area were decidedly unremarkable.

We are going to visit Hendricks Farms this Saturday for some cheeses to have for Thanksgiving. As I am totally unfamiliar with the Landsdale/Harleysville area, can anyone point to a nice place for Saturday lunch close by?

No particular cuisine in mind here, just something enjoyable and good.

I would suggest checking with Hendricks for lunch. They had been doing some selected sandwiches and quiches based on products grown on the farm. If they are still doing this you don't want to miss it...their meats and cheeses are AMAZING. Do yourself a favor; stop at a minimart, get a drink and eat some of the delicious offerings at Hendricks.

If this sounds like an ad for the farm, it's very close. I used Hendricks cheese and meats on my tasting menu for close to two years and the products were REMARKABLE!

Depends on what you're in the mood for but I would add: Sultan's lunch buffet for very good Indian (Montgomery Commons Shopping Center, Rte 63), Fuzion for excellent Asian fare (intersection of Rtes 363 and 73 in Center Square) and Ravenna (same shopping center as Fuzion) for good Northern Italian food. All are BYOB's by the way.

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

We had a really nice time at Hendricks Farms today. Rachel is one busy lady- with taking care of all the customers, chatting it up with EG folks like me and watching her two lovely daughters stay out of trouble!

Anyway, I wholehearedly recommend everyone get out to the farm to check out all the beautiful artisinal cheeses they have to offer. After sampling quite a few, we ended up taking home a nice chunk of Cow Pie (Their take and mock on Camembert) some lovely Pub Cheddar, some of their Asiago (which tasted like a blue cheese) and last but not least the wonderful Telford Reserve. The Telford really blew us away. I originally went to get some aged Gouda but happily substituted the Telford.

Very nice place and really nice folks running the show. While it took us over an hour to get there, my wife noticed cars from New Jersey and New York in the lot!

We ended up having lunch at the Italian Market in Skippack. Thanks for all the recs just the same. Unfortunately, the hot sandwich was the meatball (I was hoping for roast pork) and it was way off. One of the owners noticed we left more than 2/3 of our sandwiches on the plate and offered to give me an Italian hoagie to go. I accepted and it's what I'll have for the game tomorrw. Nice move on her part and she confirmed the meatballs were not good, her grandmother was off for 2 days!!

I could have gotten off cheap (although $18 for 2 sandwiches and sodas isn't cheap) but it was Skippack and we took a stroll down the street and checked out some shops. Three hours later...