• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Crueset at Costco in NJ

Curlz

I was in the Clifton Costco this afternoon, and literally did a double-take as I was walking past the aisle with cookware...lo and behold, a walk down the aisle confirmed that it was indeed the 8qt oval LC ($158 in red) and the 4pt (?) roasting pan ($67 in blue). Anyone know how long they've been carrying these? Have you seen other pieces in other stores? Discuss. :raz:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

What's Costco Home?!? TELL! TELL! Please? :raz:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

I bought some Le Crueset knockoff gratin dishes and such on a trip to Quebec City. They were beautiful cast iron and enamel, at less than half the price of the real thing in Canadian Dollars!!, and that stuff isn't even real money!! The point I'm making is that LC is ridiculously overpriced (though I admit to loving it and owning some). Seeing it discounted at Costco or any other store doesn't surprise me...

Now, what is Costco Home??

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Check out the Costco Connection magazine for Costco Home at the following link:

http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection...stcoHomeCatalog

Basically, it is an entire Costco warehouse dedicated to home furnishings. Lemniscate - as I have not actually been inside a Costco home, maybe you could tell us what the selection is like?

It's the same size as a regular Costco, but has furniture, beds, cabinetry, rugs, lighting, countertops, flooring, home theater, art, outdoor furnishings,.................decorating accessories, seasonal decorations, collectibles (Lladro, limoges, ceramics...). It's quite the overload when you go in the first time. And all of the furniture is staged, so there is not so much a warehouse feel.

It carries anything from $5 pillows to $25,000 chandeliers.

this is going to sound weird, but i went to costco for the very first time last week. i needed new tires so i went ahead and joined. i did see the lc oval dutch oven, and the osterizer "pro" (all metal gears) for about $25 and a cuisinart burr grinder for about $30. then the usual wines and meats and stuff.

you want inexpensive le creuset?  find a Tuesday Morning.  trust me.*

* i've never been to costco so i can't compare prices.  but trust me anyway.

A) We obviously need a field trip to Costco. You're missing out (on some stuff)!

B) I do know people who've had great luck finding LC at Tuesday Morning...my problem is they don't have any stores in the immediate area! But you did just jog my brain a little...TM ran a tv ad this week touting their LC selection...now I'm wondering if they're feeling the competition! :hmmm:

There is a Tuesday Morning in Midland Park...probabley the only town in the area Not on a Highway.....

The store was actually a little scarey :blink: ...but my mother works in the same strip mall.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Curlz - have you ever been to the Tuesday Morning in Whippany? It is in the same complex as the Original Pancake House on RT 10 - only a hop, skip and a jump from Costco.

The other place that has various LC stuff from time-to-time is Home Goods.

I've been to the TM in Whippany...haven't been to any others, though! But thanks for the reminder; I may be out that way this week, and will check it out if I am!

So I have been very intrigued about this topic. I have been covetting a Le Crueset for some time. I actually had a Chef's Central Gift Certificate about a year ago thinking I would spend it on a new pot. The person working that department actually sneered at me when I asked what were the the advantages of Crueset over other similar products so I sneered back and walked out.

Yesterday, I had an appointment in Morris Plains - just 5 minutes from Tuesday Morning in Whippany. Turns out they had just one that was 2.75 quarts - too small - although well priced at $70 (I think). I drove down Route 10 to Costco, hoping to score a Le Crueset, but they didn't seem to carry them. The final blow was coming home to find a Bloomingdales brochure in my mail box with a big sale on Le Crueset. The price seemed comparable to Costco, but the sale was last Saturday. Good timing, that one.

I just can't win. Does anyone have advice? Which Costco? Which Tuesday Morning? Anyplace else?

Marie

NJDuchess

Wow, Marie...that stinks!

I saw the LC at the Costco in Clifton. It's on Main Avenue, across Rt. 3 from the Clifton Commons shopping center, where there's a big Barnes & Noble. Don't know how many of the other NJ stores are carrying it.

Fwiw, Chef Central folks aren't usually so snotty--I'm surprised to hear that! But if you go in with a current Linens 'n Things or Bed, Bath & Beyond coupon, they'll accept those, so it might be worth it to take another trip up to Rt. 17 if you can get an additional 20% off!

But if you go in with a current Linens 'n Things or Bed, Bath & Beyond coupon, they'll accept those, so it might be worth it to take another trip up to Rt. 17 if you can get an additional 20% off!

i wouldn't be surprised if they exclude LC from their coupon-honoring process.

Tuesday Morning deals with slightly defective products and as such they may or may not have what you're looking for at any given moment. i have had good luck at the Midland Park TM as far as LC goes. while you're up there pick up some fresh-killed chicken and organic eggs from Goffle Poultry.

Edited by tommy (log)

In past holiday seasons, Amazon was running super prices with a bonus of an extra smaller pot with the purchase of a larger pot. I ended up with seven or eight pieces, all in different colors. It was crazy.... one color would have a bonus pot, and another color didn't offer the bonus.

Mix and match was fine with me! :wub:

Concerning prices: I've always felt that if I had a brother-in-law in France carrying pots out of the factory in a wheelbarrow every day, he couldn't ship them to me for what you can get them for on sale here! :cool:

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

I was in the Whippany TM today, and just have to say that TM SUCKS! :angry: They literally had two pieces of LC in the whole store...one was a small saucepan with lid for $69.99, the other an odd-shaped piece that I didn't even bother to turn over. And when I asked the cashier if there was any more, she said no. My response was "Then why are they running tv ads advertising Le Creuset here? That's annoying."

WHAT. EVER. I think I'd rather go to the LC outlet store, where I know I'll find LC, thankyouverymuch. Or better yet, get it as a gift! :wink:

One way to get cheap LC is to join Direct Buy. You have probably seen the infomercials on TV. LC is about half the price there as compared to Amazon.com prices.

Or just buy knockoffs like me... :raz:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Not to sound too much like an idiot, but is this stuff that good? I mean is it considered the best cookware on the market? Although I am not a gourmet, I am looking to redo my kitchen and buy ALL new stuff. When I do cook, I enjoy it tremendously. I do it more as a hobby than as a function of needing to eat and that's part of what makes it so enjoyable. Cleaning up? Who enjoys that, LOL.

Anyway, how good is this cookware?

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Eric, I hope you have a glass of wine/cup of coffee nearby, and a serious amount of time to read. To whit: the BIG Le Creuset thread...

There's also the Copper vs. Stainless Steel cookware discussion...

And finally, the Cookware Recs thread.

Happy reading/researching! :blink::smile:

I just can't win.  Does anyone have advice?  Which Costco?  Which Tuesday Morning?  Anyplace else?

After following that original LeCreuset thread, I bought my first piece from Caplan-Duval. They usually have a bunch of things on sale and have great prices. The last 2 pieces that I got were gifts :smile: .

I was in the Clifton Costco a few months ago and I did see the LC there. I commented to my husband on how they had good prices.