• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inane Marketing Slogans

Fay Jai

I've been literally suffering, I tell you, since last night when my eye caught sight of a "La Choy" can at the grocery store, and the old jingle that used to be on TV popped into my mind.

Sung in an idiotic sprightly sort of tone with a dreary yet ridiculous sort of melody: "La Choy makes Chinese food. . . .sing American!"

AAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrghhhhhhh!!!!

Blech! Hooey! Help!

:blink::angry::sad:

"Mountain Grown: The Richest Kind."  WTF -- mountain grown coffee is the ONLY kind!

Bad, bad FoodBabe, bringing back images of Mrs. Olsen like that!

A college chum of mine wrote a song about Mrs. Olson; here's one stanza:

This is my Folger's Coffee

And oh, I love it so

It's grown up on the mountain

Where nothing else will grow

Folger Coffee still has its plant in the 800 (700) block of Broadway in downtown Kansas City, no?

One of the unfortunate casualties, at least for the time being, of the recent E. coli outbreak in Mid-Atlantic region Taco Bells is the chain's advertising slogan, a somewhat clever parody of a management cliche that might have been cute when it was first uttered but has long since curdled into something annoying:

"Think outside the bun."

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

There is just something about the name "Healthy Choice" that sounds like one of the premium dog foods that used to be touted at the dog shows. I can't recall the exact name right at the moment, but every time I see the name that is the picture that forms in my mind.

Ah Ha! Found it. Nutro makes a dog food named Natural Choice. Hormel markets ready to eat meats named - - -what else? Natural Choice.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett