• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I was idly reading this topic a while ago and found that many people thought Blue Star was a great range.   I looked on the internet and found a dealer selling them about 3/4 mile from here. I went to look at it and another place as well.  The upshot of what they said was that it was built for COOKING. It was a restaurant stove built to be acceptable to domestic building codes.  Basically it was a tank.  It reminded me of the Garland I had in the restaurant I had all those years ago.  I also saw some more modest stoves and decided I'd actually prefer a nice pick-up truck instead of a tank.  They told me that GE was doing some really good things with ranges and a double oven appealed to me.  What cinched it was to learn that new technology had drastically brought down the cost of installing a new gas line in my house.  My glass top stove that was not all that old was acting up.  The smooth glass top always needed cleaning and the mess was always cooked on. I spent more time cleaning it than cooking with it.  The left front burner would not turn down sometimes. I never knew when I'd turn back a few minutes later and find it was cooking at top heat even though I'd turned it down.  The other front burner would not heat up very fast. I'd go back after a while thinking it was time to flip whatever was in the pan only to find it had not started cooking yet.  I ordered the stove I wanted and it was installed today.  It has a double oven with steam clean option and convection in the lower one.  The center griddle is replaceable with either a reversible cast iron one or a regular grate.  My first food to cook on it is a hamburger with the buns being toasted on the griddle.  Tomorrow I'll bake some bread in the upper oven.

edit PS In a few months I think I will have the range hood replaced with a matching over the range microwave.

unnamed-4.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I was idly reading this topic a while ago and found that many people thought Blue Star was a great range.   I looked on the internet and found a dealer selling them about 3/4 mile from here. I went to look at it and another place as well.  The upshot of what they said was that it was built for COOKING. It was a restaurant stove built to be acceptable to domestic building codes.  Basically it was a tank.  It reminded me of the Garland I had in the restaurant I had all those years ago.  I also saw some more modest stoves and decided I'd actually prefer a nice pick-up truck instead of a tank.  They told me that GE was doing some really good things with ranges and a double oven appealed to me.  What cinched it was to learn that new technology had drastically brought down the cost of installing a new gas line in my house.  My glass top stove that was not all that old was acting up.  The smooth glass top always needed cleaning and the mess was always cooked on. I spent more time cleaning it than cooking with it.  The left front burner would not turn down sometimes. I never knew when I'd turn back a few minutes later and find it was cooking at top heat even though I'd turned it down.  The other front burner would not heat up very fast. I'd go back after a while thinking it was time to flip whatever was in the pan only to find it had not started cooking yet.  I ordered the stove I wanted and it was installed today.  It has a double oven with steam clean option and convection in the lower one.  The center griddle is replaceable with either a reversible cast iron one or a regular grate.  My first food to cook on it is a hamburger with the buns being toasted on the griddle.  Tomorrow I'll bake some bread in the upper oven.

unnamed-4.jpg

unnamed.jpg