• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snack Bar!

Lateralus

First, I think the careful thought they've put into their beer selection is impressive. This attention is translating nicely into their selections of wine as well: the inclusion of the Pichon Lalande was a suprisingly welcome addition.

They have Pichon Lalande on the list now? Do you remember the vintage and price?

I'm a big fan of the booze list as well. Jonathan Makar mentioned it was put together by Brett Meier-Tomkins of Marigold Kitchen, at least initially. I've spoken to him a few times when I've been to Marigold, and he always struck me as knowing his stuff, but I was still surprised at what a really fine job he did with this. A very small list, but so good I still have trouble deciding what to drink. Although I haven't been in a few weeks, and from a couple of remarks upthread it sounds like it might have changed a good bit. Any details?

Cap.,

I believe the vintage is '01. It's priced at $150 (I think), which for a restaurant is fabulous. I bought '01 Pichon Lalande from vinfolio.com at $68 per bottle, the best price I saw anywhere. I don't know what they're paying for it but it's a steal (contextually, of course). And it's a great wine, as well.

I've had some (though not at snackbar) and it's drinking very nicely. I wasn't aware of Parker's suggestion but I had it in December and it was wonderful.

As I noted above, I'm not 100 per cent sure snackbar's carrying the '01 but that's what I remember.

The wild price variations on winesearcher and winezap are enough to inspire or discourage. As I mentioned upthread, I found this wine at vinfolio.com for $68, a price I was happy with.

Unfortunately I misrepresented the offering at snackbar. They're selling the '99 which is not quite as good as the '01 but it is drinking well enough right now.

Interestingly the price is hovering between $35 and $155.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/pichon+l...erring_site=WJO

I would probably buy it at Morrell's since they store wine properly...

Just as importantly, Morrell's will have the wine for you, in stock and at the quoted price. I would bet heavily that most of the listings at the lower end are bait-and-switch, "I'm out of that but I have this!", "Gee, the price just went up!" con-jobs.

The '99 is good wine-list thinking, a smart item for them to offer: a good wine, lesser vintage, drinking well early on. The price point doesn't look quite as attractive, though.

larger plates offered now at snackbar. more entree friendly. look for new menu items in a week or so..........

brunch on the way mid-april.

"the soul contains three elements in dining: to feel, to remember, to imagine." --andoni luiz aduriz

Awesome.

I Imagine if it was anything like Marigold's brunch, it should be the best brunch in the city.....

Marigold's brunch totally rocked. Everyone I took there said it was the best they'd either (a) ever had or (b) had in years. Clearly I miss it... but April is around the corner!

Mentioned this on another thread, but just had to post it here too, it's just so lovely:

gallery_23992_2690_36342.jpg

Pork Belly, cold sous-vide melon, rhubarb, cucumber, kumquat.

Awesome.

I think they usually plate it up with the pork in thinner, easier-to-eat slices, but this presentation was pretty dramatic, and not so hard to carve-up.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

You folks in Philadelphia are terrific. No other forum in eGullet gets as much attention from its participants. I lived in Philadelphia in the late 70s when the initial wave of chef-driven restaurants were making an impact and the scene seems more vibrant than ever.

Now, regarding the Snack Bar.

I am planning a visit to Philadelphia next week for a few days and have selected a number of restaurants from your discussions but I am having some trouble getting some basic information about the Snack Bar. When you call their phone number it automatically goes to voice mail where a message directs you to their website for more information. Unfortunately, the website only contains the restaurant's name. Either it is under construction or has been taken down. More frustrating, the voice mailbox is always full so there is no way to contact anybody to get any information.

So here is my question, I am meeting some relatives for lunch on Monday and was thinking the Snack Bar might be the spot. There will be six of us. Can they seat six at a table? If so, what time would we need to arrive to get seated fairly quickly?

Any help here would be much appreciated.

You folks in Philadelphia are terrific.  No other forum in eGullet gets as much attention from its participants.  I lived in Philadelphia in the late 70s when the initial wave of chef-driven restaurants were making an impact and the scene seems more vibrant than ever.

Now, regarding the Snack Bar.

I am planning a visit to Philadelphia next week for a few days and have selected a number of restaurants from your discussions but I am having some trouble getting some basic information about the Snack Bar.  When you call their phone number  it automatically goes to voice mail where a message directs you to their website for more information.  Unfortunately, the website only contains the restaurant's name.  Either it is under construction or has been taken down.  More frustrating, the voice mailbox is always full so there is no way to contact anybody to get any information.

So here is my question,  I am meeting some relatives for lunch on Monday and was thinking the Snack Bar might be the spot.  There will be six of us.  Can they seat six at a table?  If so, what time would we need to arrive to get seated fairly quickly?

Any help here would be much appreciated.

The tables can fit six, I'm sure. The thing you may want to consider is that with the low-table/plush-seating thing going on, it may not be perfect for elderly relatives. Also, although the food is delicious, the menu may scare those who are not frequent diners. A lil' bit of reassurance should put that right.

It's a late spot. I live in the neighborhood, and it hasn't really been crowded until well into the dinner hour, sevenish at the earliest. If you're able to get there early you should have no problems. On the other hand, it stays very busy well past the usual restaurant closing time: it's often packed when I walk the dogs a little after midnight.

As to the menu, browsing upthread should do more than I can to fill you in. It has been mentioned that they've moved away a little bit from the small-plates format and started serving some larger portions. I haven't had a chance to check that out. Anyone?

As Capaneus says, the round tables could probably fit 6, although the chairs are just big enough that it could get a little unergonomic... but there are square tables at the back, under the photo of the scooters, where you could fit three on the banquette and then three opposite.

And I think the timing advice is good too, they don't take reservations, but if you get there early, you should be able to grab a table. It's a little tougher to fit 6 together after they get busy, it's a tiny place.

As for the menu, there are still small plates as before, but there are also some "larger plates" that are more substantial. So you certainly can mix-and-match small plates as before, or order small plates as if they were appetizers and large plates as if they were mains, or whatever you like...

I think you should give it a whirl, and please, tell us how it was!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 2 weeks later...
I think you should give it a whirl, and please, tell us how it was!

No operating hours detailed on their voice mail message + a full voice mailbox + no operating hours listed on their website + no operating hours listed on the door of the restaurant = No visit from the Kulman family

Instead, we went to Ansill, Osteria, Matyson, Rangoon, Sang Kee and Mama's Pizzeria in Bala Cynwyd (we've been going there for cheese steaks since the 1970s)

Instead, we went to Ansill, Osteria, Matyson, Rangoon, Sang Kee and Mama's Pizzeria in Bala Cynwyd (we've been going there for cheese steaks since the 1970s)

and what did we like ?

Will you be posting on other threads ?

and what did we like ?

Will you be posting on other threads ?

I will, but we just got back home today. (I know I should post before I unpack but that might create some issues around the house.)

Quickly, the top five were Mama's cheese steak (sentimental favorite, but deserving nonetheless), the veal marrow on toast with pink sea salt from Ansill, the raspberry ganache Easter Eggs from John and Kira's, the Thousand Layer bread with chicken curry from Rangoon and the lime gelato (either with ginger or cilantro) from Capogiro Gelato.

Quickly, the top five were Mama's cheese steak (sentimental favorite, but deserving nonetheless), the veal marrow on toast with pink sea salt from Ansill, the raspberry ganache Easter Eggs from John and Kira's, the Thousand Layer bread with chicken curry from Rangoon and the lime gelato (either with ginger or cilantro) from Capogiro Gelato.

Those are some good choices, dude. That 1000 layer bread is probably one of my top ten favorite dishes in Philadelphia (though I prefer the potato curry as an accompaniment). I've been meaning to go to Mama's for ages now. Some day...

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

• 3 weeks later...
Marigold's brunch totally rocked. Everyone I took there said it was the best they'd either (a) ever had or (b) had in years. Clearly I miss it... but April is around the corner!

Diann

I had a second brunch at snackbar today as in two weeks in a row, went with Rae and DG last week.

We had the Turkey Scrapple with Custard Eggs, Egg Fry-up with sausage and mushrooms,Grits with cheddar, French toast of a brioche-ish nature, tater tots and some thick cut bacon.

Basically you get one dish, One side and one mimosa or bloody mary for $20, a complete steal and lovely outdoor seating.

Absolutely agree with you regarding Marigold's Brunch.

To those who arent aware, the Snackbarons orchestrated the original Marigold brunch and have replicated it flawlessly.

Easily the best in the city food-wise and value-wise.

Diann

I had a second brunch at snackbar today as in two weeks in a row, went with Rae and DG last week.

We had the Turkey Scrapple with Custard Eggs, Egg Fry-up with sausage and mushrooms,Grits with cheddar, French toast of a brioche-ish nature, tater tots and some thick cut bacon.

Basically you get one dish, One side and one mimosa or bloody mary for $20, a complete steal and lovely outdoor seating.

Absolutely agree with you regarding Marigold's Brunch.

To those who arent aware, the Snackbarons orchestrated the original Marigold brunch and have replicated it flawlessly.

Easily the best in the city food-wise and value-wise.

Dammit! I was lying in Rittenhouse absorbing sunshine most of Sunday afternoon. So close and yet so far away. Fry-up, tater tots and grits sounds great. I will be there next Sunday... thanks for the heads-up!