• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snack Bar!

Lateralus

There was some question about whether snackbar was open for breakfast yet. Turns out they are, though for the moment it's a well-kept secret. Got there about 12:30pm, and I was the only customer in the place at the time. A couple wandered in a little later, but they were frieds of the owner's. They serve coffee and pastries. I wondered whether there were plans to expand the offerings, but at the moment there are not. They are good offerings: La Colombe coffee, and pastries sourced from the same place LaC. gets them, I believe. Even the pricing is the same - which is a good thing. Very pretty place to sit and read the paper, as it happens, with the big windows in full sunlight.

Lunch will be the same menu as dinner, and will start in about two weeks, as will Sunday brunch.

However, they don't take reservations.

Not only that, they also will not take your name for a table if you walk in, so you're basically reduced to the 'hovering' or 'vulture' seating method, where you stand around and look at all the diners till it looks like one is getting up, then swoop in. Ugh. I realize it fits with their 'snack bar', small plate, in-and-out method, but it makes it impossible to plan to go there. Which stinks, because I was there on Friday and the food was fantastic. The wasabi pea-crusted apple was particularly great.

edit: I guess I should say 'supposedly they will not take your name', since I heard that secondhand.

Edited by Buckethead (log)

Not only that, they also will not take your name for a table if you walk in, so you're basically reduced to the 'hovering' or 'vulture' seating method, where you stand around and look at all the diners till it looks like one is getting up, then swoop in. Ugh. I realize it fits with their 'snack bar', small plate, in-and-out method, but it makes it impossible to plan to go there. Which stinks, because I was there on Friday and the food was fantastic. The wasabi pea-crusted apple was particularly great.

edit: I guess I should say 'supposedly they will not take your name', since I heard that secondhand.

If this is true, Snackbar may be the first restaurant to honor it's No reservation policy which I applaud.

A lot off restaurants in the city engage in that very annoying habit of taking people's names for a table which is completely absurd because what you are in fact doing is taking "reservations in person". What is the point of going to a no reservation restaurant, standing there for 45 minutes and then several people walk up to the restaurant and get seated immediately and you get the explanation that they came in and left thier names.

Either take reservations or walk-ins.

Wanna expand on your dinner ?

Edited by Vadouvan (log)

If this is true, Snackbar may be the first restaurant to honor it's No reservation policy which I applaud.

A lot off restaurants in the city engage in that very annoying habit of taking people's names for a table which is completely absurd because what you are in fact doing is taking "reservations in person".

It's not the same thing. When someone is standing there at the restaurant and you take their name down, all the restaurant is doing is saving their place in line. There is much less chance of a cancellation when the diners are actually standing there waiting, and even if someone gets tired and leaves, the restaurant can just go down to the next party on the list. I understand that restaurants don't really like reservations from a business standpoint because the tables aren't full 100% of the time they could be full, but there's a difference between not taking reservations and not making sure that the party that was there first gets seated first.

What is the point of going to a no reservation restaurant, standing there for 45 minutes and then several people walk up to the restaurant and get seated immediately and you get the explanation that they came in and left thier names.

The Standard Tap has (or had, I heard they changed it) the exact same seating policy, and what you describe was the exact problem with it. With their two floors, you could be there waiting for 20 minutes, roaming around waiting for someone to get up, and someone who came in 2 minutes ago who happened to be in the right place could get a table before you. Not only that, but it makes the people who are already seated really uncomfortable having roving packs of would-be diners eyeing them to try and figure out if they're ready to leave or not. The problem is that you could be waiting there for 45 minutes and someone significantly less courteous than you can come up and if they happen to be between you and a table when it empties, you're SOL.

Wanna expand on your  dinner ?

We really liked the polenta and the wasabi apples. The pork belly was tasty, but ours was almost entirely fat, I see from Philadining's photos that yours was quite a bit leaner, which I think I would've liked better. We had the same desserts, I didn't care much for the financier but the chocolate cake was really good (I don't say that about many chocolate cakes).

However, they don't take reservations.

Since a space as grand as Snack Bar probably has a comfy waiting area, such strict adherance to a "No Reservation Policy" is not all that heinous. :wink:

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

If that's correct, it's one of the most ridiculous policies I've heard of. They may make more money this way, but it's incredibly disrespectful to their clientele. I don't want to stand around like a schmuck waiting to pounce on an open table, and I want to be able to enjoy my food without people peering over my shoulder.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

If that's correct, it's one of the most ridiculous policies I've heard of. They may make more money this way, but it's incredibly disrespectful to their clientele. I don't want to stand around like a schmuck waiting to pounce on an open table, and I want to be able to enjoy my food without people peering over my shoulder.

I spoke to the person who told me that, she said that they got it from other patrons waiting to sit down, who told her that 'this guy over here is next, then us, then you' or something along those lines. I can't imagine where they were waiting, there's hardly any standing room by the door. She tried to get the attention of a bartender but couldn't, they didn't hang around to see what happened. As she pointed out, though, the place has only been open for a few days, they may not have worked this out yet. They definitely aren't taking reservations, though.

Not to turn this into a reservation thread, I will offer this one last commentary.

I would assume since they have been open for what...5 days, they *obviously* havent worked this out yet. My personal opinion, too much of the public hold tiny restaurants to absurd standards. Looking back at the same space when it was SALT, Salt took reservations and was pretty good about timing it's tables, some people on occasion waited by the bar and it was a bit hectic but it worked out for the most part.

The sense i get from Johnny "rico suave" makar is he wants it to be a chill neighborhood spot, just come in and eat.

No need to start building up any acrimony just yet if at all, i feel like everyone in philly complains about how there need to be more exciting restaurants but what is going to make philly's food scene more exciting is small chef driven restaurants and we need to stop finding the negatives and let them fly before we whip out the shoulder launched ground to air missiles.

You want to have a reservationist kiss your behind in the executive lounge ?

There are lots of huge soul-less restaurants that do that already.

On to the food, anyone have part 2 of snackbar's menu yet ?

Edited by Vadouvan (log)

If that's correct, it's one of the most ridiculous policies I've heard of.  They may make more money this way, but it's incredibly disrespectful to their clientele.

It'll work just fine. It's Rittenhouse, not Northern Liberties. Although it sounds ironic (it's not) nobody around the Square would quietly put up with someone else jumping the unwritten queue. Handbags would fly.

Edited by kretch (log)

"I've been served a parsley mojito. Shit happens." - philadining

Ha! Maybe. Still, even if that's true, it just means the restaurant is getting their patrons to do what most restaurants hire somebody to do. When I go out to eat, I'm all in favor of experimental food. Social science experiments? Not so much.

Anyway, Vadouvan's point is well taken. It's early, and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they're experiencing first-week chaos rather than implementing a deliberate and misguided policy. But I will say, V, that this:

You want to have a reservationist kiss your behind in the executive lounge ?

There are lots of huge soul-less restaurants that do that already.

is a straw man. The alternative to survival-of-the-fittest seating isn't sycophantic reservationists. It's a transparent reservation or list policy. As you mention, that's not a radical solution, even for that space.

I agree with V, Really people, just chill out. Disrespectful to the clientele? Who cares? It is a little place that just has opened it's doors, has barely gotten it's Liquor licence and everyone is sooo, impatient about it being the "perfect experience" . Give it time, let them work out its kinks it will not be Le Bec or Lacroix in a day. It takes awhile. I know everyone is used to the cookie cutter, "seamless" service and execution of other restaurants in Philadelphia. But that has become so formulaic that everyone has forgotten a dinning experience is about the community, as the restaurant finds it's course and grows with the neighborhood. Constantly evolving.

Give it time, and a little consideration.

Before I left Philadelphia I could not stand the wait at Morning Glory, but now I would crawl on my hands and knees for those pumpkin pan cakes.

If anybody has been to Cafe du Monde, you will know hovering.

If the food is that good, wait.

Edited by matthewj (log)

Before I left Philadelphia I could not stand the wait at Morning Glory, but now I would crawl on my hands and knees for those pumpkin pan cakes.

The wait isn't the issue at Morning Glory. The unbelievably rude service is. However, I'm far less likely to wait to be treated rudely, no matter how good the food is.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Its true, snackbar just recently recieved a liquor liscence, the first few days were more of an extended soft opening as a byob and abreviated menu. As with any opening there are always some things to figure out. I know they're still discussing how they will work out a "waiting for a table" plan. With a restaurant that size and the style of food they're doing its going to take some time to figure out, but I'm sure they'll do a good job of it. I know one thing for sure, it will be tough to get a table during prime dining time, sinse they'll be pretty much packed on a regular basis. The good thing is they'll be serving earlier and later than most places, so there'll be a larger window to get a table.

I'm really excited about this place, I was able to try the food and talk a bunch with the owners, it was a great experience. There is something for everyone. Each dish I had was very well thought out. They look simple, and they are, but you can definitely tell how much thought and preparation went into each one. If you see something on the menu that you haven't eaten before I would definitely try it there, not only because it'll be well prepared , but also its not going to be a huge entree or cost you a lot.

Any way, yes there a few kinks but I think they're very passionate about making it as perfect as possible, I really hope they nail it. I cant imagine what it'll be like if they start to do brunch.

Welcome Rod! (or do your friends call you "the"?)

Good points, all. 

What did you eat?

thanks man.. rod will do fine. I had the Pork belly which was really good.. FAT and all. I cant even remember if it was a lean peice. The mushroom dish was geat as well. I like what he did with the chicken, being as its always a goto for "picky" eaters, he made it interesting and deliscious. I really enjoyed the talegio polenta dish, the roasted corn on top gave it a nice texture as well as a bit of sweetness. I'm definitely looking forward to the whole menu. The brussels were a hit at the table, but i never could develop an appreciation for the little buggers. I was a little hesitant to try the miso caramel apples with the wasabi peas, but was pleasently surprised when i finally tried one. It was interesting to taste how the hotness and tartness were sort of balanced out with eachother, not what i expected. I cant wait to go back now that the whole menu is there.

Welcome Rod! (or do your friends call you "the"?)

Good points, all. 

What did you eat?

thanks man.. rod will do fine. I had the Pork belly which was really good.. FAT and all. I cant even remember if it was a lean peice. The mushroom dish was geat as well. I like what he did with the chicken, being as its always a goto for "picky" eaters, he made it interesting and deliscious. I really enjoyed the talegio polenta dish, the roasted corn on top gave it a nice texture as well as a bit of sweetness. I'm definitely looking forward to the whole menu. The brussels were a hit at the table, but i never could develop an appreciation for the little buggers. I was a little hesitant to try the miso caramel apples with the wasabi peas, but was pleasently surprised when i finally tried one. It was interesting to taste how the hotness and tartness were sort of balanced out with eachother, not what i expected. I cant wait to go back now that the whole menu is there.

Which perfectly illustrates the Strokes-and-Folks adage. I went yesterday with two friends (supposed to be three, but someone punked - you know who you are :raz:). We wanted to try the whole menu. Didn't get to do that, but we came close. Funnily enough, the apples were one of the few dishes I wasn't crazy about. I got the apple-to-caramel-to-pea thing, texture and flavor progression and so forth, but every element seem to scream itself, if that makes sense. Too garish. I certainly wouldn't wasabi-pea everything, like some :raz:. The widdle cabbages, on the other hand, were amazing. The almond milk foam might have been redundant, what with the whole almonds, but the dish was ridiculouly tasty. Other hits for me were the chicken (and I don't usually like barbeque sauce), the tallegio/corn polenta, both fishes, the trout and the whiting, about evenly... The misses, well... There weren't any outright misses, I don't think. There were some things I might argue about on a craky day. Like today. The pork belly, which is a general favorite, is delish, but the immersion in the broth... I dunno, to me it felt waterlogged, somehow. The escargots were good, but the preparation tended to obscure the snails, not showcase them, which was a strength of the other dishes. And the "Fruit" dishes needed to be punched up: the canteloupe was excellent, but it needed more of a flavor/texture foil; the figs needed to have the sheepsmilk custard amped up a few notches - it was completely overwhelmed, and it deserved better (tried a bit by itself, and it was outstanding - until it tried to compete with figs in a wine reduction).

Everything was at least very good, I thought, and the stuff I singled out was better than that. I know I forget some. Meant to ask for a menu but spaced. Little help, Diann, Mr. BigJas?

The wine list deserves a nod as well: not exactly cheap - bottoms out at $8/glass, $40/btl), but the pours are generous, the pricing is proportional (every bottle 5X the glass), and everything we tried was not only good, but (and this is important to me) extremely true to the varietal, in every single case. Distinctive, full-flavored wines all. I'll single out the Viognier, the Garnacha and the Cabernet for particular distinction. Don't let the silly "Screw Kappa Napa" moniker on the Cab put you off.

i really liked the polenta dish as well--taleggio is stinky, fresh oregano is kinda spicy, fresh corn is kinda sweet, and all sitting on a really fine polenta to hold it all together makes for some super stuff.

the brussels were excellent--really a highlight of the whole meal. but the almond milk foam was nearly tasteless compared to the intense roasted marcona almond and black truffle flavors in the rest of the dish.

the miso caramel apples that everyone's been raving about were good, but i feel like i would have liked them better if the wasabi peas were ground finer.

really everything was damn good, and we ate the whole savory part of the menu. the whiting and sea trout were highlights, as were the pork belly and bbq chicken.

in the future i'd like to be able to work within the concept of the name of the place, and stop in and have a glass of wine and one or two dishes rather than spending 3 hours and a hundred bucks eating everything. but if the quality of the food and the nicely chosen wine list is any indication, i suspect snackbar will be so popular that i won't be able to just drop by and do that.

and good on them for it! we were all yapping about what kind of place would work in a space that small and expensive, and this seems like exactly the kind of place that will.

So, other than whiting and melon, this sounds like pretty much the same menu as last week, yes? I had been hoping that we'd see a few more cards flipped over. Not that I'd be reluctant to eat that same stuff again!

I think some of these varied reactions can indeed be just different strokes - pork belly in a broth: I love it at Momofuku, I love it here!

And I really liked the apple/miso/pea thing, and especially liked the coarse crunch of the wasabi peas. And "every element screaming itself" sounds fine to me, if they're screaming in harmony. I thought they were.

But again, that's just me.

Thanks for the wine report, as much as I like the BYOB thing, it will be a nice place to drop in unprepared and get a glass of wine and a few plates. I hope.... You might be right Jas, it could get a bit too busy to be that casual. Maybe on the off-hours, as Rod mentioned.

I look forward to more.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com