• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snack Bar!

Lateralus

wine pairing $20. 3 oz pour.

1. terrazo pinot grigio

2. fuchs gruener veltliner (bridging with 3rd)

4. bonny doon rose

5. spires barrosa valley shiraz

6. dow's lbv *

*2 oz pour

for tasting menu october 1 2007.

"the soul contains three elements in dining: to feel, to remember, to imagine." --andoni luiz aduriz

Those pairings offer a great alternative, especially for smaller parties.

That was my main concern about the $20 per person corkage: that price is totally reasonable, even generous, for folks intending to match each course, opening several bottles, which is easier at big tables. But it could be a little daunting for, say, a party of 4 that just wants to open two bottles.

Being able to spend that same money and get matched wines (at at an appropriate-sized pour for a monday night!) is an excellent solution, thanks for offering it!

This makes it even more heartbreaking that I'm tied-up that night, I'm SO bummed to have to miss it. Somebody's got to take some pictures!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Will post the pics and then come back to add notes. I welcome the other diners to comment and post their pics as well..

Tried to keep the flash at a minimum so as not to disturb other diners. Matt, I am including some of your images so that people can get a full appreciation for the dishes.

Started with a Pimms Iced Tea - as discussed upthread, this clean, crisp cocktail can sneak up on you. Given that I was also going for the wine pairing, I opted not to finish the entire cocktail...just 7/8ths of it :raz:

gallery_21049_162_15416.jpg

Hamachi crudo. campari caviar. passionfruit. preserved orange. - For me, the bold acidic flavors from the passionfruit, orange and campari slightly over powered the Hamachi, though I am not complaining too much.

terrazo pinot grigio

gallery_52886_5218_7962.jpg

gallery_21049_162_4084.jpg

Not-so-tossed salad. shiitake soil. toasted lager viniagrette. - An awesome dish not only in presentation, but the flavors of the vegetables reminded me of a dish I had at L'Arpege. Great textures and flavors from the vegetables and "mushroom soil".

fuchs gruener veltliner

gallery_52886_5218_51540.jpg

gallery_21049_162_6195.jpg

Chicken wing confit. eggplant. white chocolate-goat cheese. - Why doesn't every pub/bar serve these? Crispy on the outside, tender and moist on the inside with the quintessential chicken flavor.

fuchs gruener veltliner

gallery_52886_5218_27255.jpg

gallery_21049_162_18128.jpg

Poached black cod 'albufera'. pumpernickel. sour cherries. - The cod was done just right. The flavor combinations worked as well, provided you did not eat an entire sour cherry with it.

bonny doon rose

gallery_21049_162_16095.jpg

Lamb top-round (csv). chickpea yoghurt. minted consomme. - I have made a similar dish with chestnut puree but never thought about serving the jus infused with tea in a shot glass. Will have to borrow that one Johnny.

spires barrosa valley shiraz

gallery_21049_162_8842.jpg

Bleu des lacqueilles. port wine brulee. cocoa. - Nice idea to "brulee" the port, though the cocoa nibs did not shine through.

dow's lbv

gallery_21049_162_23429.jpg

Treacle pudding. shortbread. earl grey foam. - Nice, though the syrup was a bit too sweet, even for my sweet tooth.

gallery_52886_5218_10514.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

i completely ignored others around me in a horrible faux pas of food-photo-taking, which i know has been discussed elsewhere on Teh eG.

So as not to overload the thread with duplicate photos here's a link to my photos from the night.

I was really excited about the treacle pudding, never having had it before. It was nice to have a new dessert with such contrasting textures and some new flavors.

The not-so-tossed salad was our other favorite. Great presentation and the SV veggies/fruit were nicely contrasting with straightforward and complementary flavors. My first "soil" as well. Much more yummy than expected.

I also really enjoyed the cod dish's flavor combination.

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

Looks like it was a great meal at a great price.

Johnny, what does the term "albufera" signify for the cod. I know the Albufera just south of Valencia is the major rice growing area of Spain.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Looks like it was a great meal at a great price.

Johnny, what does the term "albufera" signify for the cod. I know the Albufera just south of Valencia is the major rice growing area of Spain.

Yes, that was the irony. There was no rice.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

for me: albufera=chicken consomme fortified with sherry, foie gras and clotted cream.

granted, this is a version from jean georges a friend showed me.

i have seen some recipes that are very different than this, however, i feel that this is the basic foundation.

of it's spanish connection i would assume that a chef in the region 'coined' it and it has nothing to do with rice to my knowledge.

"the soul contains three elements in dining: to feel, to remember, to imagine." --andoni luiz aduriz

for me: albufera=chicken consomme fortified with sherry, foie gras and clotted cream.

granted, this is a version from jean georges a friend showed me.

i have seen some recipes that are very different than this, however, i feel that this is the basic foundation.

of it's spanish connection i would assume that a chef in the region 'coined' it and it has nothing to do with rice to my knowledge.

Thanks, Johnny. The dish sounds and looks great. I wish I could have been there to try it. Then again, as a Mets fan it is probably just as well that I am nowhere near Philly at the moment! :laugh:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz