• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch in 2e or 1e near Bibliothèque Nationale?

RandyB

It's my turn on Monday to treat a friend who usually takes me to lunch at Grand Colbert when I'm in Paris. I'd like to find something in that price range and area (near where she works), perhaps even with better food if not the unmatchable decor.

Bardet's Point Bar sounds great but isn't open Mondays. Drouant is, well, a bit above the budget. Casaluna also sounds great, so that's what it will be.

Thanks,

Randy

from Paris

Bardet's Point Bar sounds great but isn't open Mondays. Drouant is, well, a bit above the budget. Casaluna also sounds great, so that's what it will be.

Thanks,

Randy

from Paris

Are you sure? Drouant's menu of the day = 45 E, menu-carte 67 E. But Casaluna is great. Report back please.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Thanks,

Randy

from Paris

Are you sure? Drouant's menu of the day = 45 E, menu-carte 67 E. But Casaluna is great. Report back please.

Oh, yes. Casaluna's menu is 16.50 for 2 courses, 21 or so for 3 courses. A decent and appropriate Corsican house wine can be had for 5 per glass.

We had a lovely meal today. A simple but generous green salad with bacon and Corsican cheese, and many different greens to start. We both had the same plat, a fricasée de seiches in a rich, dark Corsican sauce whose name I did not recognize. This was delicious. The cuttlefish were perfectly cooked, not the least rubbery.

We shared a Corsican dessert that was sort of like a creme caramel, but lighter and lemon flavored. Very good.

The service was very good, and friendly. We were forced to drink two complimentary liqueurs each after our coffees. The decor was very pleasant, , and it was relatively quiet. We were seated in a smoking section but no one was smoking near us.

Thank you for the suggestion. I think this is a real find for the price.