• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Tikka Masala

pam claughton

I'm new to enjoying Indian food, and have fallen in love with Chicken Tikka Masala, which has a delicious somewhat creamy and spicy sauce. In searching for recipes, I see that half call for cream and half don't and I'm wondering, what is the norm? Does it usually have cream? Any suggestions for a good cookbook or resource for a classic recipe for this and other Indian dishes? I think I might like to try making Naan too.

Oops, I just realized that maybe I should have posted this on the India thread? Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

:) Pam

Edited by pam claughton (log)

Although Chicken Tikka Masala is not Indian in origin (it is Anglicized as far as I know) it is a delicious dish. You can find 2 recipes by eGullet Society members here and both call for cream. Just type in Chicken Tikka Masala in the search feature. Hope this helps.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Although Chicken Tikka Masala is not Indian in origin (it is Anglicized as far as I know) it is a delicious dish.

If you take a look at the link Susan provided, you'll see that CTM is most definitely of Indian origin.

Pam, CTM can cover a fairly wide variety of interpretations. I've seen some recipes with cream, some without and some that utilize cashew paste for a creamy texture. They all have their fans. If your favorite source makes a creamy CTM, use a cream-based (or cashew paste based) recipe.

Edited by scott123 (log)

Pam, if you are looking for definitive Indian cookbooks. I'd steer you to stuff by Mahdhur Jaffrey.

I think CTM is like many dishes. Addition or omission of things like the cream, or addition of cashew butter do not diminish the "authenticness" of the dish. Think about potato salad, Phad Thai, meat sauce for spaghetti. There are probably as many ways of making these dishes as there are people!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"