• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shelf-stable/shelf life of truffles

gbbaker

You bring up many valid points. I'm doing this professional at farmers markets around Orlando, FL. We primarily do fudge but we also have ten to twelve varieties of truffles at each market and they do fairly well. But at the markets the shelf life hasn't been an issue. It only came up when I was approached about wholesaling and then for gift baskets.

Normally I do a 4 or 6 pack and everyone is happy. They take them home and their consumed in a day or two. I've had a few boxes purchased for birthdays but those too we're consumed within a week. Now that the holidays are coming I've been approached about events where Christmas stuff is sold. I wanted to do some gift baskets with fudge, truffles, and a few other things but no way the truffles will last.

It was also suggested to me to get a kiosk at one of the local malls starting Black Friday through the end of the year. But again, truffles won't last that long.

I'm sure I'll sell a lot just before Christmas but I'll also lose a number of sales because people will instead buy other stuff that has a longer shelf life.

I just started in August so I have a tremendous amount to learn yet. Maybe next year I'll have some idea for a way around it. Maybe sell gift boxes early by order only, and then deliver for Christmas. Then I could spend the week before Christmas making them and deliver a high quality fresh product. I know a lot of people at markets want things right now. Like when they ask for a fudge I don't have, they never want to order it for the following week. So we'll see.

Regarding toasted coconut, that's brilliant! This is why I love his forum. I would have probably never thought of that on my own. Thank you!

Caramels also have a very long shelf life. I make a few fillings that are a blend of caramel and chocolate, and they seem to hold up very well, probably because of all the sugar.

I haven't had See's in quite a while, but aren't they mostly fondant, not so much cream ganache?

Maybe you could create a special holiday collection with gianduja, butter ganache, caramels, and maybe some fondant or liqueur fillings. There is a reason why the explosion of artisan chocolate products in the grocery stores is limited to bars and caramels. Bars and bark might not be as sexy as filled pieces, but they would make great stocking stuffers or small gifts to sell at those pre-holiday events.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I never considered shelf life when I made chocolates before since they usually get consumed within or less than a week. Since I'm planning to make holiday chocolates now, the info you guys have provided is most helpful. Thanks. I'll need to check as well if my chocolate containers from Papermart will effect the length of my chocolate's shelf life. Any idea if regular candy containers will shorten shelf life? Would it be better if I got airtight or vaccum sealed containers? TIA