• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carlino's Way

Andrew Fenton

Carlino's in Ardmore is hardly a secret; displayed behind the cash registers is a wall of "Best of Philly" awards of various stripes. But until I was tipped off to it, in the recent tomato pie thread, I'd never heard of the store. That's in part because I'd rarely had occasion to spend time on the Main Line before recently; and even if I had, I wouldn't have gone by the store, which is tucked away in a residential neighborhood a few blocks from Lancaster Ave.

But it's a great place, and I'm delighted that I know about it now. The tomato pies are very good, as is the garlicky, oily white pie, and the semolina bread is as close as I've seen in the US to the bread I bought every week in Rome.

There were four kinds of Italian prosciutto today, and something that in a way is even better: prosciutto ends. A nice chunk of prosciutto, perfect for cooking, is only $5/pound.

The cheese selection seems pretty good, though distressingly, it's all wrapped in plastic. Free your cheese, Carlino's! Let it breathe!

I'm curious about Main Liners' reaction to the prepared foods at Carlino's. If they're good-- and they look pretty good-- they'd be worth trying. Most days that I drive to work (not that often), I'll also be coming home late, and it'd be nice to have a good no-cook option.

There were four kinds of Italian prosciutto today, and something that in a way is even better: prosciutto ends.  A nice chunk of prosciutto, perfect for cooking, is only $5/pound.

that IS nice. i've asked for these at dibruno's before and gotten a blank stare. of course that was 18th street.

Once I had been to Wegman's I will never go back to Carlinos, their prices are insane. I don't care about their mainline address. I would rather drive to Downingtown and bask in epicurean overdrive. When I used to go to Carlinos I found that they thought they were the only place on the block and were rude. I wouldn't go there unless someone held a Locatelli to my head. :hmmm:

Interesting. I've found that, for the things I've bought there-- e.g. prosciutto, bread, cheese-- Carlino's prices are comparable to anywhere else I've been. $16-20 per pound for imported prosciutto is expensive, but the good stuff isn't any cheaper anywhere else. And the service has been courteous and helpful.

It's not going to replace DiBruno's, the Reading Terminal, or other places in the city for me. But it's nice to have another option.

I live in the Carlino's neighborhood and we tried it several times when we first lived here. The prepared foods are...okay. They're not worth what they're charging, I think; at least they weren't a few years ago. Their tomato pie is fantastic and we actually bought several and served them as part of the appetizer table at our (held at home) wedding reception. I did find the employees unfriendly.

Cupcake Planet: my (possibly obsessive) cupcake-centric 'blog

Wow, I feel like a weenie, I used to live in Ardmore and until this thread I had no idea of the existence of this place. How are their desserts? Are any of their pastries worth trying?

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda