• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails with desserts

Kent Wang

There is a terrific gelateria here called La Dolce Vita that, in addition to serving Italian desserts and gelato, also has a nice bar packed with a number of Italian liquers and, of course, the basics. What drinks should I order there to complement a gelato, tiramisu, profiterole, etc.?

I've been told that cocktails with sweet desserts are tricky as you need a very sweet cocktail. Otherwise, tasting the cocktail after having a bite of the dessert will make the cocktail taste more bitter (or less sweet) by contrast. I'm not sure of how accurate this really is.

I've been told that cocktails with sweet desserts are tricky as you need a very sweet cocktail. Otherwise, tasting the cocktail after having a bite of the dessert will make the cocktail taste more bitter (or less sweet) by contrast. I'm not sure of how accurate this really is.

i'm not sure of the accuracy either, but what you say is logical and makes sense to me. i never like to serve cocktails with desserts because i think it's kind of an overkill. i think there should either be dessert, or a nightcap...but both is just too much--much too sweet, in my opinion.

-honorspianist

Edited by honorspianist (log)

While not a cocktail, ice wines go especially well with sweet desserts. While sweet, ice wine isn't generaly cloying, and I imagine that a very sweet cocktail with a sweet dessert might be a bit of sugar overkill.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

There is a terrific gelateria here called La Dolce Vita that, in addition to serving Italian desserts and gelato, also has a nice bar packed with a number of Italian liquers and, of course, the basics. What drinks should I order there to complement a gelato, tiramisu, profiterole, etc.?

I use an organic Tahitian Vanilla gelato to make what we think is the ultimate root-beer float. All natural rootbeer, over the gelato is heaven. The next level of heaven is topping the float with bourbon, although Licor 43 and Kahlua work well too. But with bourbon.... wow.