• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wild Mushrooms

pups224

Once upon a time, there was a store that sold every kind of fresh wild mushroom, on Leonard Street in Tribecca, named Aux Delices des Bois. They catered mainly to the wholesale trade, but would also sell retail. They closed and I have yet to find as good a source. For a while thay had a website, but that seems to be defunct as well. I am not happy with Fairways selection, nor Chelsea market's nor Agata'a (who used to have a great fresh mushroom selection). Most of the shrooms that I see look old and tired. Does anyone have any suggestions? Resources?

That's a tough one. As you said above, Agata used to sell their generally high mushrooms loose, but since they've moved to pre-packed, the selection is quite tired.

Citarella also sells pre-packaged "wild" mushrooms, but they seem to be of a higher quality than Agata's. Have you tried Grace's Market or Balducci's (or even calling them first?)?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

That's a tough one.  As you said above, Agata used to sell their generally high mushrooms loose, but since they've moved to pre-packed, the selection is quite tired.

Citarella also sells pre-packaged "wild" mushrooms, but they seem to be of a higher quality than Agata's.  Have you tried Grace's Market or Balducci's (or even calling them first?)?

Tried them both, not impressed. I would love to find a wholesaler who also sells retail. Has anyone had any retail experience with Baldor?

there's a place in the East Village, just south of Thompkins Square Park, on Avenue B, West Side of the Street, that caters more to restaurants and caterers but does retail as well, that usually has a good supply of mushrooms, as well as other high quality gourmet items.

I think you may mean Truffette. They do truffles, but also mushrooms.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

The selection is good and prices decent (all things being relative) at Manhattan Fuit Exchange in Chelsea Market. They only take cash, but over the years I have bought a number of wild mushroom types (chanterelles, morels, bluefoot, porcini, lobster, black trumpet, etc.) there and have been very happy with the cost and quality.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

there's a place in the East Village, just south of Thompkins Square Park, on Avenue B, West Side of the Street, that caters more to restaurants and caterers but does retail as well, that usually has a good supply of mushrooms, as well as other high quality gourmet items.

Thanks, This place looks promising.