• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A restaurant dilemma?

Fancied asking the forum's opinion on a dilemma I have:

My girlfriend and I are in need of a break but can't go away for a long time as we have work commitments. We've therefore decided to go for a break to a restaurant. We've done the Fat Duck and a few 1 star places, but are trying to decide where to go this time.

Main favourites at present are Hibiscus and Le Champignon. L'enclume is also an option but wondered where people thought was best and any other alternatives.

Thanks,

Adam

Definately go to Hibiscus, fantastic cooking and a fab restaurant, Ludlow is also a good place to stay if your looking for a little break. Champignon is also good and very reasonably priced considering it has **. My view on l'enclume is already known (bah!). In my opinion go to Hibiscus as the style of food there is unique and considering it will be moving soon a treat to all of us who are not Londoners! :laugh:

Mr PSB & I had a couple of nights and a day in Cheltenham, plus a trip to le Champignon Sauvage, last November and I'd thoroughly recommend that if you can't spare much time - the Champion Sausage is quite wonderful, and Cheltenham is a lovely town with a lot of things to do and see, and it's small so you can walk everywhere. We did much of our Christmas shopping in its quirky little shops. As we were mini-PSB-free, we hada particularly relaxing time. And if you can spare the time, the surrounding countryside is lovely too.

Decided on Hibiscus - booked for next week. Thanks for the help and will report back!

Adam

Adam, sorry I meant to post re your question. But it looks like you have made a great choice. Had two very good meals there a couple of weeks back. I will send you a great rec for accomodation, if you haven't already sorted that aspect out.

Ask Claire to sort out an extra large portion of his Foie Gras ice cream for you :wink:

Ask Claire to sort out an extra large portion of his Foie Gras ice cream for you :wink:

Oi Bapi when r u going to get them to emigrate to London so we can finally get our hands on some of this fg glace :raz:

Well, if I had my way- never :wink:

My reference above was to having a lunch where the foie ice cream pitched up. Trouble was - it was far too small for a greedy bastard like myself. So, as we were returning two days later, with the equally greedy Friars and Gary M- I asked for a larger serving. Which bless them- they were happy to do.