• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

60th Birthday Recommendation

viejomajadero

Hi

Turning 60 in a few days and having a Boys Night Out with friends. Want a BYO as I am bringing magnums from the early 80's, all from California.

We will be 7-8 total and cost is not an issue.

Wanted Zarole but they are temporarily "KAPUTSKY".

Suggestions???

Thanks

Viejo

"A dry crust of bread eaten in peace and quiet is better than a feast eaten where everyone argues" Proverbs (17:1).

Happy Birthday, Viejo!

For a group that size, my vote would be for Fascino (Montclair). :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Tommy

Yes to Corkage

Zarole is closed and moving to Paramus with opening to be in January. That is all I know.

Curlz

Thanks. Fascino is on my short list.

Viejo

"A dry crust of bread eaten in peace and quiet is better than a feast eaten where everyone argues" Proverbs (17:1).

Big 60 deserves a night in NYC. There's not much selection in NJ for MNO restaurants, especially in the two towns you cited. Fascino would be okay. Aozora, for a sushi dinner. Richie Cecere's, but its not BYO. Highlawn Pavilion in West Orange. Huntley Tavern, Roots in Summit. Morton's in Hackensack. Fleming's in Edgewater. Further inland, I'd recommend 3 West (Basking Ridge), Pluckemin Inn (Bedminster), Bernardsville Inn (Bernardsville), Ryland Inn (Whitehouse), Fromagerie (Rumson), Raven & The Peach (Fair Haven).

Edited by jim07044 (log)

Thanks so far. Meredith and Jim thanks.

Just to add a few more parameters to help.

Group getting together on 9/28/2006 Thursday night. Area selected is for convenience of all attending. NY is not workable.

Looking to serve old cabernets. This is not Sushi wine.

Choosing Magnums from among Silver Oak 1981 Bonney and Napa. 85 Bonney. 90 Montelena. 86 Dunn Napa. 78 Mondavi.

Thanks

Viejo

Thanks so far.  Meredith and Jim thanks.

Just to add a few more parameters to help.

Group getting together on 9/28/2006 Thursday night.  Area selected is for convenience of all attending.  NY is not workable. 

Looking to serve old cabernets.  This is not Sushi wine.

Choosing Magnums from among Silver Oak 1981 Bonney and Napa.  85 Bonney.  90 Montelena.  86 Dunn Napa.  78 Mondavi.

Thanks

Viejo

Then it should be a Steakhouse.. River Palm...for sure

although i'm sure you're more than capable of handling your own wine (at a BYO), i can't help but think that going to a non-BYO restaurant, where they have good wine service/handling and passable stemware (and plenty of it) would serve you better than a BYO.

that said, i'd go with the River Palm, as cook456 suggested, or maybe even Morton's in Riverside square. i don't find eithers steaks up to the level of a luger's or some of my other favorites, but i can't help but think thye'd be places where you could focus on the wine and your friends. the ordering, after all, is generally pretty straight forward at steakhouses.

How about Latour in Ridgewood near the train station.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Firstly, interesting news about Zarole. Passed it by last week on the way to Malee (Thai) and noted only 1 table going. Place has been almost empty for a couple of years, don't know how they paid the rent so long, not a surprise that they closed.

BYO in and around Ridgewood:

Rocca in Glen Rock, got a lot of acclaim here a while ago, creative American with Italian touches.

Mediterraneo, Broad St. Ridgewood, an under-reported gem, some very nice creative food with an owner who cares.

Marra's, not fabulous, but if you want fairly standard Italian-American with huge portions. Lots of room for a big crowd.

Village Green, always highly praised here.

I also second the recommendation for Latour.

Enjoy! And please be sure to give us a report...preferably on the Fascino thread, which is here!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."