• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Spicy Food in Philly

MikeyTree

Before moving to Philly this summer, I lived in Delaware for almost 4 years, where there's only one or two passably spicy restaurants. I'm originally from Toronto, one of the best cities in the world for international cuisine, so I know what I've been missing. I have a lot of spice to make up for!

What are your favorite blazingly spicy restaurants and foods in the city? I've already discovered Szechwan Tasty House and Chunk King thanks to you all, but now I'd like to find some properly spicy Indian, Thai, Mexican, Korean, and other cuisine. The more fiery the better.

Pig Daddy's has "suicide sauce" that's guaranteed to scorch the front and back porch.

When you eat it plain, it's not too bad, but heat it and don't be suprised if fire engines show up. Harold McGee or Alton Brown could probably tell you why better than I could.

And they deliver (even outside their delivery area if the order is big enough)

Not exactly "in the city", but close and accessible via SEPTA (Ardmore Station, on the R5 line), Hunan on Lancaster Ave in Ardmore can make it as hot as you'd like ... Betty Foo (sister in law to Susanna Foo) does fabulous home style, authentic Hunan cuisine.

Try the mapo dofu and ask for it "like you'd have at home" ... or for an appetizer, go for the pork-stuffed hot peppers.

Regards,

Jason

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

As a general thought, I've always found that Thai chefs are willing to make your food incendiary if you request it that way. My saying is "don't challenge a Thai chef".

A lot of Chinese places are afraid to make it too hot for the round eyes because people send it back, but any decent Thai guy will hook you up.

As a general thought, I've always found that Thai chefs are willing to make your food incendiary if you request it that way.  My saying is "don't challenge a Thai chef".

A lot of Chinese places are afraid to make it too hot for the round eyes because people send it back, but any decent Thai guy will hook you up.

I miss the "crying tiger" dishes Jow's hubby used to fix at that now-defunct Thai food truck at Penn and at Jow's Garden (also now gone) in U-City. I can't remember his name; it was difficult to spell and to pronounce. But he was a great guy, and I hope he is doing well wherever he may now be.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Oh yeah!! Those Crying Tiger dishes were deadly! Those would make me sweat like a workout, but man were they good! Cleared the sinuses for days!

I have a new entry into the pantheon of spicy spots. Aqua at 705 Chestnut Street has some really outstanding Tom Yum soup that was pretty spicy. It's just joined my rotation with Lee How Fook's Hot and Sour Soup. There was a lot of the menu at Aqua yet left to explore, and the owner told us if we wanted really spicy they'd be happy to accomodate, so that's worth checking out to satisfy your capsaicin jones.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Erawan on 25th and Sansom serves up spicy Thai food if you call in advance and tell them you want an authentic Thai dinner Chowhound - Erawan thread

if you want spicy Indian make sure you let your server know that you want "Indian hot" not just plain hot. As far as where for Indian well I'm no huge fan of anywhere within the city limits. There's Desi Village in Langhorne, and Khajuraho in Ardmore...

Erawan on 25th and Sansom serves up spicy Thai food if you call in advance and tell them you want an authentic Thai dinner Chowhound - Erawan thread

You know, that's not a bad idea. I've never been happy with Thai food in Philadelphia. But I bet that with some advance planning and notice, you could get something really good.

Erawan on 25th and Sansom serves up spicy Thai food if you call in advance and tell them you want an authentic Thai dinner

Slight correction: 23rd and Sansom.

There was an article somewhere about it about 6 or 9 months ago I think.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Erawan on 25th and Sansom serves up spicy Thai food if you call in advance and tell them you want an authentic Thai dinner

Slight correction: 23rd and Sansom.

There was an article somewhere about it about 6 or 9 months ago I think.

The article was in Citypaper in March: Fit to be Thai'd by Trey Popp.

I am an unadventurous Thai eater, but Erawan is good stuff.

if you want spicy Indian make sure you let your server know that you want "Indian hot" not just plain hot.

You aren't kidding. An Indian friend of mind doesn't like spice, and asks waiters to make his dishes not at all spicy. Yet when he goes to Indian or southeast Asian restaurants with caucasian friends who love spice and ask for their food extra hot, the "mild" dishes they give my Indian friend are almost always much hotter than the caucasian "very hot" ones.

My DH and I are serious fire eaters, and we've found that most restaurants will accommodate our preferences just fine. All you have to do is ask.

At our restaurant, for example, we usually have some excellent homemade habanero sauce that we serve in a silver sauceboat for those who request it, and anyone who asks for their food spicy can get it that way. However, order from the menu and almost everything will be mild. I always try to have one or two incendiary sorbets - like mango habanero or papaya with chile y limon - for the fire eaters.

Most Thai, Chinese, Indian and Mexican places are quite accommodating.

(And, yes, David Suro always brings out the habanero relish on request - it's divine!)

Barb

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Co-owner of Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine, lawyer, jewelry designer, glass beadmaker, dessert-maker (I'm a lawyer who bakes, not a pastry chef), bookkeeper, payroll clerk and caffeine-addict

I stopped in at International Smokeless Barbeque (600 Washington Avenue) for some takeout on the way home earlier this week and had a Curried Duck and Noodle soup that was outstanding and very well spiced. Coconut milk based with a spicy yellow curry, noodles and pieces of duck leg. Came with the usual side of bean sprouts and lime wedges to jazz it up. Very tasty and something that will be even better as the cold weather sets in.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol