• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alice Waters in the North Bay?

BouchonIntern

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is genuine truth to the super hush-hush rumor that Alice Waters has purchased Lucy's Restaurant in Sebastopol?

My source would know due to her position at city hall. But I am always weary of these rumors.

All that I know for a fact is that Lucy's closed today "to transfer new ownership"

Ian W

Former Chef / Partner, Cafe La Terre and Bistro V Express

Sebastopol, CA

Currently living the culinary dream in South East Asia.

Ian, I spoke with Chloe a few weeks ago and she told me 2 men (Steven Singer and Jonathan Waxman) bought the building and the restaurant. Perhaps there is a connection to Alice Waters but it's not Alice herself. It's a small town and I've heard the same rumor, who knows....

• 1 month later...

Yeah, It was Jonathan Waxman and Waters ex, Stephen Singer who bought it. So far, word is that it will be a organic based pizza and pasta joint, priced all under $20. The tentative name being, West County Cafe.

Ian W

Former Chef / Partner, Cafe La Terre and Bistro V Express

Sebastopol, CA

Currently living the culinary dream in South East Asia.

Sorry! I read the title of this thread and blew my morning coffee out my nose! The thought of Alice Waters taking her philosophy to North Bay and opening a restaurant there was just too much. Naturally, being Canadian I assumed it meant North Bay, Ontario. Now if she could make her ideas work there - well I would definitely become a fan. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog