• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

found OLDER California wines in cellar

markk

I found some older California wines in my cellar that I'm thinking of bringing to a dinner party.

I wonder if anyboy has any experience or preditions as to their drinkability. They've been stored quite well (at least the 79 and 82 Bordeaux that's been stored in the same place have done just fine). Thanks.

1977 Ridge York Creek Cabernet

1980 Ridge Cabernet Monte Bello

1979 Markham Napa Valley Cabernet

1982 Markham Napa Valley Cabernet

1982 Duckhorn Vineyards Napa Valley Cabernet

-

1985 Grgich Hills Napa Valley Chardonnay

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Hmmmm... can I come to the party?

I've had two Ridge from the 70s that were spectacular. And there is no reason to believe the Markhams haven't held up as well.

I guess your Grgich chard is the questionable one as most chards don't necessarily hold up that long, although I was drinking Woltner chards from the 70s and 80s which I quite enjoyed.

Please report back and let us know, but I have a feeling the Ridge wines will be the winners.

I agree with the above post. there is no reason these shouldnt drink very nicely. some (the chard, specifically) may be a little past their peak, but age just brings a new dimension to wines like those.

The only apprehension I have is how do you "forget" that you have bottles like these laying around in the cellar?!! lol

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com

The only apprehension I have is how do you "forget" that you have bottles like these laying around in the cellar?!! lol

You drink a lot of wine.

You forget a lot of things.

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Full reports, please. I suspect that most if not all of these will be just lovely. I think the Duckhorn might be as good as the Ridge too.

When I grow up I hope to have enough wine to forget about in my cellar.... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

When I grow up I hope to have enough wine to forget about in my cellar.... :biggrin:

A Texan goes to Israel, and sees a guy with a rake working a small patch of land by the road. He stops and asks him what he's doing. The Israeli replies, "Well, I'm a farmer, and this is my farm, and I'm farming."

The Texan drawls, "Well, I've got me a spread in Texas, and when I wake up at sunrise, I get in my car at one end of my property, and by nightfall I still haven't reached the other end".

And the Israeli replies, "Yeah, I had a car like that once!"

(This is to say that my brain is more addled than my cellar is large.)