• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anniversary Celebration

paperwatermelon

You have all assisted me in the past, so I am seeking your advice once again on activities for Wednesday to celebrate an anniversary, where one of the highlights of the days events should include food, of course. Any suggestions? I'm not set on an exact location, anywhere from Monmouth/Ocean County (NJ) to as far as the Hudson Valley or Catskill Region (NY), so there's a large stretch for your ideas to flow. Thanks again for your help!

Edited by paperwatermelon (log)

Without some hints as to what types of activities you like, this is difficult. I mean, my mind raced around from things like a boat ride on the Hudson (boats leave from Newburgh waterfront), visiting the fabulous Rockefeller Mansion, Kykuit, (Westchester) Whatever's ripe for picking at Race Farm in Blaristown, NJ, Kayaking at the Delaware water gap, and so on. Great food around all these places too.

What are your parameters so as to narrow this down a bit?

Edited by menton1 (log)

Without some hints as to what types of activities you like, this is difficult.  I mean, my mind raced around from things like a boat ride on the Hudson (boats leave from Newburgh waterfront), visiting the fabulous Rockefeller Mansion, Kykuit, (Westchester) Whatever's ripe for picking at Race Farm in Blaristown, NJ, Kayaking at the Delaware water gap, and so on.  Great food around all these places too. 

What are your parameters so as to narrow this down a bit?

Thanks for responding to my question. I would say were more of boat ride then kayaking people. I especially like your idea involving the sightseeing boat ride and historical tour while finding a resonable place to dine. Any suggestions? The fruit stand and P-Y-O also sounds great, but I guess it's all about timing.

I was actually thinking of coming up with a couple options and then having a final decision made by you know who. Keep the evolution of ideas coming!

We love Storm King Art Center.  It is on Rt 32North just north of Woodbury Commons - exit 16 on the NY Thruway.  If you are lucky you can get a reservation at the CIA for lunch or dinner.

It's going to be a bit difficult getting into the Culinary Institute, seems as if they are pretty much booked with many tours..any other suggestions?

walk around Princeton, then visit the Grounds for Sculpture and dine at RATS, in nearby Hamilton. Or head to Lambertville/New Hope and have drinks on the Delaware.

The Princeton and/or Lambertville idea(s) also seems to be about right. Although I have not been to the New Hope area since before the flooding, so I am not sure. Hmm, decisions, decisions! The board is still open for suggestions.

Thanks for responding to my question. I would say were more of boat ride then kayaking people. I especially like your idea involving the sightseeing boat ride and historical tour while finding a resonable place to dine. Any suggestions? The fruit stand and P-Y-O also sounds great, but I guess it's all about timing.

I was actually thinking of coming up with a couple options and then having a final decision made by you know who. Keep the evolution of ideas coming!

This 2 hour boat ride is great, and they go out on Wednesday.

http://www.prideofthehudson.com/

When you get back, there are about 8 restaurants sitting right out on the river, gorgeous views, and if the weather is right, a wonderful environment. This waterfront area has undergone a fantastic gentrification in the last 7 years, and the new restos are terrific. My favorites are Cena 2000 and Cafe Pitti. Here's a guide to all of the restos:

Newburg Waterfront Restaurants

Weather forecast is great for this whole week!

Do you know any cruises that drop you off at some of the historic sightseeing locations? I found out that NY Waterways conducts a tour similar to that, but they only run that tour during the fall months.

The waterfront looks very nice, do any of the dining establishments have a pre-fixe menu? Or if we don't do the Newburg waterfront ths time around (depending on the weather), were open to other locations in teh Huidson Valley as well.

As a precaution, I would also like to have a NJ itinerary on stand by, just in case the other half isn't up for the couple hour drive to the Hudson Valley? Thanks everyone!

Edited by paperwatermelon (log)

kikyut is beautiful - as is washington irving's home, also in sleepy hollow. dinner at blue

hill at stone barns?

a visit to yogi berra's museum and lunch in montclair?

a visit to stickley's home http://www.stickleymuseum.org/

and lunch at an american grill?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Do you know any cruises that drop you off at some of the historic sightseeing locations? I found out that NY Waterways conducts a tour similar to that, but they only run that tour during the fall months.

The waterfront looks very nice, do any of the dining establishments have a pre-fixe menu? Or if we don't do the Newburg waterfront ths time around (depending on the weather), were open to other locations in teh Huidson Valley as well.

As a precaution, I would also like to have a NJ itinerary on stand by, just in case the other half isn't up for the couple hour drive to the Hudson Valley? Thanks everyone!

Newburgh, exit 17, is only 40 miles from Bergen County. Alot less than 2 hours.

Check the website above, it links to individual restaurants on the waterfront and the menus.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to thank everyone who assisted me with selecting a location to celebrate. I appreciate all your assistance!

We would up taking an afternoon boat ride/guided tour throughout the Hudson Valley and dining at a cafe directly on the waterfront where a band was performing. (A nice touch!)

By the time we got back to shore after the tour, all we wanted to do was sit back and relax from the very long day out on the water. So, we will be going back in the future to dine at another one of Hudson Valley's great establishments. Thanks again.

I wanted to thank everyone who assisted me with selecting a location to celebrate. I appreciate all your assistance!

We would up taking an afternoon boat ride/guided tour throughout the Hudson Valley and dining at a cafe directly on the waterfront where a band was performing. (A nice touch!)

By the time we got back to shore after the tour, all we wanted to do was sit back and relax from the very long day out on the water. So, we will be going back in the future to dine at another one of Hudson Valley's great establishments.  Thanks again.

Sounds interesting, could you kindly elaborate on the specifics of the cruise and the name of the restaurant? Thanks!