• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zucchini pickles

Heidi the Pilgrim

I am about to be overrun with tromboncino zucchini. I started growing them on a six foot bean tower, but the recent heat wave caused them to explode out the top like a fountain and they are now threatenting to eat my house. Only after I planted them did I read that the vines can get to 25 feet. Oh. DE-AH.

They're really a lovely veg, nice long seedless neck, not watery, not bitter. I think they'd make great pickles. Can I substitute them in any pickle recipe, or is there something special I need to do so as not to kill all my friends with botulism? I'm thinking of something sweet and hot, anyone have advice or good recipes?

Here's my little beauty... (a picture should follow...if not, I still haven't figured out how to post a photo).

gallery_44086_3290_126546.jpg

I've successfully substituted zucchini for cucumbers in Bread and Butter pickles, and made zucchini relish from a recipe I orginally found on the web but have since altered to have more garlic :smile:. It's really the only viable way I've found to preserve them.

However, I've been blessed with neighbors with two teenage boys, all of whom love fresh zucchini, so I solved my problem another way!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

There's a wonderful zucchini pickle recipe in the Zuni cookbook.

Is that the Zuni Cafe cookbook? I found that recipe online but was concerned that there was no water bath processing and they would only keep for a few months. Is it possible to water bath them for 10 minutes and get good results?

I've successfully substituted zucchini for cucumbers in Bread and Butter pickles, and made zucchini relish from a recipe I orginally found on the web but have since altered to have more garlic  :smile:. It's really the only viable way I've found to preserve them.

That's good to know - I am concerned about substituting anything because I don't want the acid balance to be off and kill people, y'know, but I wanted them to be a little different from the average pickle. I did make bread and butter pickles with lemon cucumbers a few years back and they were delish.