• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amish Soup/Casserole

I ate at an Amish restaurant in PA years ago and had a casserole with noodles, flour (I think) and maybe potatoes. Very starchy and filling. I know I've read about this particular dish before--it was made specifically to be filling. I think the name has something to do with the word "filling" if I remember right.

I'm sure someone here can help me remember what it's called. Thanks.

The Amish make a potato filling to stuff poultry. Basically it is mashed potatoes with the seasonings you'd put in dressing/stuffing, and some bread cubes also, but I don't know of any with noodles.

Nothing else is known as "filling" that I know of, so maybe it was potpie, which could contain both noodles and potatoes. Or a rivel soup, but the "noodles" would be more like tiny, irregular dumplings.

If it was German, they make a dumpling of potatoes with bread cubes in the center, but again, no noodles. Was there meat served in it or with it?

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I ate at an Amish restaurant in PA years ago and had a casserole with noodles, flour (I think) and maybe potatoes.  Very starchy and filling.  I know I've read about this particular dish before--it was made specifically to be filling.  I think the name has something to do with the word "filling" if I remember right.

I'm sure someone here can help me remember what it's called.  Thanks.

Could that have been Haluski? That is basically noodles and cabbage, I think. I first heard of it when I moved to Pennsylvania.

I ate at an Amish restaurant in PA years ago and had a casserole with noodles, flour (I think) and maybe potatoes.  Very starchy and filling.  I know I've read about this particular dish before--it was made specifically to be filling.  I think the name has something to do with the word "filling" if I remember right.

I'm sure someone here can help me remember what it's called.  Thanks.

Could that have been Haluski? That is basically noodles and cabbage, I think. I first heard of it when I moved to Pennsylvania.

Oh, and I think it can contain potatoes, too.

Hope this helps!

It sounds to me like a variant on a dish my wife's German/Mennonite grandmother makes. It's called kartoffeln-mit-kloessen (sp?) which means, logically enough, potatoes with noodles. The noodles are made out of the same dough as her verenike wrappers, cut by hand into long strips like fat fettucine (smaller than pappardele, though).

My wife's grandmother usually serves hers with greens from the garden, bacon bits, onions, and a little splash each of the bacon fat and some vinegar. If you remember a thickened sauce on the ones you had, it may be that this specific Amish woman thickens the "pot liquor" she cooks her veg in, and serves that with the dish. I haven't seen it done quite that way, but it is certainly the sort of notion that would appeal to farmwife frugality.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning