• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-Restaurant Travel Destinations?

If you created a non-restaurant travel itineray of locations that would be of interest to traveling foodies (gack, I can't believe I used that term! ;P ), what would you put on it? In the US, western Europe, or hell anywhere. I can't think of many:

- Napa Valley

- Wine regions of France

- Maybe some historic sites like those shown on Feasting on Asphalt (Duncan Hines, KFC, etc.)

- Maybe some cooking schools, like CIA

- Maybe the James Beard House (I've never been there)

- Maybe Maine for the lobsters

- Maybe large-scale food growing/harvesting operations (like that shellfish farm in Washington shown on Dirty Jobs)

What else?

In my own locale of Colorado, I can't think of much:

- Our small-time wine industry by Grand Junction

- Farms on the plains (really nothing to see, except maybe for some farmers markets)

- Coors and Budweiser (oh, and there are quite a few microbrews in Fort Collins; but none are terribly exciting to visit)

- Maybe AppleJack which claims to be "the largest wine, beer and spirits store in the country"

- If you're in the area, Savory Spice Shop, which has a ton of different herbs, spices, etc. at great prices.

Edited by johnsmith45678 (log)

Anywhere there is good food, markets and a tradition of good cooking.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Southern Africa; Southern Chile; Chihuahua and the Yucatan in Mexico; Alaska; Northern British Columbia near the Yukon River; South Texas; the Florida Keys; and, Cuba.

What specifically that's food-related at those places?

I've been to south Texas and Key West, so that's probably Tex-Mex in general, and I dunno -- conches?

To me, non-restaurant food means either markets or stalls. For stalls, I automatically think of Malaysia, but most any Southeast Asian country would be a good bet - Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc. And then of course there's India.

Michael aka "Pan"

In South Texas, "The Valley", you come across an area-specific cuisine within the general Texas Border cuisine, not Tex-Mex in origion at all. A source on the subject specifically, and of the Border in total: La Cocina de la Frontera.

And the Florida Keys have their own special ways of mixing and matching food stuffs with sevaral historical cuisines, and have developed their own. A source on the subject: Keys Cuisine.

Neither places mentioned above are noted for their restaurants in particular...

Edited by BigboyDan (log)

In South Texas, "The Valley", you come across an area-specific cuisine within the general Texas Border cuisine, not Tex-Mex in origion at all. A source on the subject specifically, and of the Border in total: La Cocina de la Frontera.

And the Florida Keys have their own special ways of mixing and matching food stuffs with sevaral historical cuisines, and have developed their own. A source on the subject: Keys Cuisine.

Neither places mentioned above are noted for their restaurants in particular...

I lived in the valley....only thing I saw foodie was the watermelon truck ....just like the icecream truck, except Watermelon

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association