• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chick Peas

chowchow23

i was wondering if you guys know what chick pea is in chinese cantonese or mandarin?  thanks.

??鷹嘴豆?? ---- Ying 1 Zui 3 Dou 4 (Mandarin) -- meaning hawk/eagle mouth bean.

I also found this, under garbanzo bean: 埃及 豆 Ai 1 ji 2 dou 4 meaning Egypt bean.

Edited by jo-mel (log)

i was wondering if you guys know what chick pea is in chinese cantonese or mandarin?  thanks.

This is from a Taiwan Government website:

Cicer arietinum Chick pea 小藜豆、埃及豆

But I have seen references of chick peas in several Chinese web sites as:

chick peas 鷹嘴豆 雞豆

In Cantonese: Ying Tsui Dou (literally means: eagle beak pea); Gai Dou (literally means: chicken pea)

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I've never been able to find chick peas in China!

None of my books, on the origins of Chinese food, have chick peas listed, other than mentioning that they are from the Near East and Southeastern Europe. (5-6000 BC.) But one ingredient book says that they can be found cooked till soft, then jarred in a sugar syrup.

With the big changes, from eclectic incursions, it probably won't be long before it is seen in dishes.

I've never been able to find chick peas in China!

If you're in Beijing, you could stop by 1001 nights restaurant in Chaoyang - they must be able to get their hands on as many chickpeas as they need! Maybe you could strike a deal to score some!

:biggrin:

Edited to add: have you tried a big Jenny Lou's? I'm certain they would have them. They carry quite a few Middle-Eastern things, IIRC....

Edited by Fengyi (log)

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>