• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to buy kriek and framboise in North Jersey?

MJP

I was in Baltimore for a convention this weekend and impressed my friends by ordering a framboise at a restaurant in the Inner Harbor. Most are barely drinking age and hadn't really had anything like that before, and I really enjoyed the taste of it. I've had kriek before and love that, too.

Does anyone know where I can buy kriek and framboise in North Jersey? My dad knows of a place in NYC that sells it, but I'd rather not schlep in if I don't have to.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

I did some digging and found Merchant du Vin, the importers of Lindeman's, the framboise I had in Baltimore. From their website, there's numerous varieties available.

I tracked down their NJ distributor and spoke with someone there. He gave me a list of Bergen County retailers who at least carry Lindeman's:

Rutherford Wine Shop

201-964-9463

Frontier Liquor, Hackensack:

201-440-5547

Home Liquor, Hackensack:

201-487-5547

River Edge Wines, River Edge:

201-968-1777

Leonia Wine and Spirits:

201-944-0956

There were many others, including mentions of Glen Rock and Ramsey, but I didn't manage to get those down since the rest of my notes are AWOL.

For a more complete listing, including other counties and regions, you can contact Allied Beverage Group and ask there. Their phone is 201-842-6200.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

If it's Lindemans you are looking for, then there's definitely no need to schlep. It's very widely distributed. Most of the places in my regular circuit, even small neighborhood shops, will carry it. If you are near Hackensack definitely check out Home Liquors- it's easy to get to and they have a better than average imports section.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Duplicate post due to system burp; mods, feel free to delete this.

Edited by MJP (log)

Again, duplicate post, feel free to delete, pool's closed, etc.

Edited by MJP (log)

Do you folks think Wine Country will carry these? The new one in Lyndhurst is a minute, tops, from my house.

Are there any other brands I should be looking out for other than Lindeman's? I don't want to limit myself due to not having much exposure to kriek/framboise. I'm always up for expanding knowledge and trying new things.

...Are there any other brands I should be looking out for other than Lindeman's?  I don't want to limit myself due to not having much exposure to kriek/framboise.  I'm always up for expanding knowledge and trying new things.

Here is a recent thread from the Beer board that Chris Holst posted in regard to Lambics. It includes a link to an informative Eric Asimov piece from the NYT that also contains some excellent recs for things to keep an eye out for.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I was in Baltimore for a convention this weekend and impressed my friends by ordering a framboise at a restaurant in the Inner Harbor.  Most are barely drinking age and hadn't really had anything like that before, and I really enjoyed the taste of it.  I've had kriek before and love that, too.

Does anyone know where I can buy kriek and framboise in North Jersey?  My dad knows of a place in NYC that sells it, but I'd rather not schlep in if I don't have to.

framboise - do you remember the brand?

RAF

bobferdon: It was Lindeman's.

I did a little more digging. Beeradvocate.com had an entry for Nutley Wine Shop, 558 Franklin Ave., 973-667-1315. A reviewer mentioned a good selection of Belgian beers and when I called to ask about Lindeman's, they said they were out of that, but had other framboise for sale.

I will swing by after work to grab a bottle or two and will report back thusly. My girlfriend is going to be so excited; she's a big berry person and not a beer person, so when she tried the framboise in Baltimore, she fell immediately in love. Methinks that with the right persuasion, I can turn her into a beer nut slowly but surely. xD

Edited by MJP (log)

Total Wine store at Essex Green in West Orange definitely sells lots of different framboise by the bottle!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I did a little more digging.  Beeradvocate.com had an entry for Nutley Wine Shop, 558 Franklin Ave., 973-667-1315.  A reviewer mentioned a good selection of Belgian beers and when I called to ask about Lindeman's, they said they were out of that, but had other framboise for sale. 

I will swing by after work to grab a bottle or two and will report back thusly.  My girlfriend is going to be so excited; she's a big berry person and not a beer person, so when she tried the framboise in Baltimore, she fell immediately in love.  Methinks that with the right persuasion, I can turn her into a beer nut slowly but surely.  xD

MJP

The gaslight brewery in south orange usually has a flavor of the lindemans available(kreik,frambroise, or peche). My girlfriend also likes these and doesnt realize she is drinking beer. She thinks she is drinking raspberry soda

tom

I did a little more digging.  Beeradvocate.com had an entry for Nutley Wine Shop, 558 Franklin Ave., 973-667-1315.  A reviewer mentioned a good selection of Belgian beers and when I called to ask about Lindeman's, they said they were out of that, but had other framboise for sale. 

I will swing by after work to grab a bottle or two and will report back thusly.  My girlfriend is going to be so excited; she's a big berry person and not a beer person, so when she tried the framboise in Baltimore, she fell immediately in love.  Methinks that with the right persuasion, I can turn her into a beer nut slowly but surely.  xD

I can relate to your girlfriend. My husband and I went to a beer dinner at the Stage House in Scotch Plains and I hate beer.(I went for the food) I finally found a beer I like....they served Lindeman's apple lambic and the framboise. When they opened the apple the aroma filled the room. I still don't think you can change me into a "normal" beer drinker.