• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

11 Madison Hot Dog Cart

cabrales

The following update on Eleven Madison Park was furnished by New York magazine: :smile:

"Eleven Madison Park Hot Dog Cart. For the second summer running, Danny Meyer parks his friendly frank stand in the refurbished Madison Square Park, where, to raise money for the park's upkeep, he offers the weekday lunch crowd street-cart rarities like veggie-crammed Chicago-style dogs, beet-stained potato chips, and lemon-verbena-ade. Through October."

kjohn -- I'm uncertain whether the hot dog cart is up and running yet. If you are considering purchasing from the cart, please consider confirming with Eleven Madison. :smile: I summarized a recent $20.02 lunch at Eleven Madison under the thread "Restaurant Week" -- the choices are decent, and the special price continues at least through Labor Day (if not beyond, in the case of Eleven Madison). :wink: If you arrive at around 11:45 am (lunch begins at 11:30 theoretically), you beat the rush and could be done with lunch in 1 hr 15 min, I would imagine.

The cart basically supplied my "brownie-a-day diet." I also had various lemonades. The prices were very reasonable -- I think the brownies were about $1.75 each; the hotdogs (which looked good) were $2.25 or something like that. The park is beautiful now that the never-ending renovations are done, and it's nice to sit there and snack.

The Park is lovely. Lots of very upscale dogs congregating in the run, many CSFB investment bankers and MetLife execs debarking their limos.

Much less seedy than the old days...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

The May 23-30, 2002 edition of TimeOut lists this stand as Most Inspired Hot Dog Stand in its 5th Annual Eat Out Awards. Apparently, the Chicago-style franks are of the Usinger's brand, and prepared in a broth flavored with garlic, coriander seeds, onions and bay leaves.

This cart is a rip off.  The only thing that makes this cart better than any other is that the attendant is often nice.  In this city who wants to pay extra for a hot dog served with a smile?

a lot of people. i mean really, how much money are we talking here.

This cart is a rip off.  The only thing that makes this cart better than any other is that the attendant is often nice.  In this city who wants to pay extra for a hot dog served with a smile?

I didn't know hot dog carts generally prepared their dogs in a broth flavored with garlic, coriander seeds, onions and bay leaves. That makes the usual $1.50 dog a real bargain! I guess Danny Meyer's buying another yacht with the extra pennies. :raz:

Maybe I am cheap but I am interested in value not price. To me a bottle of 1996 Petrus for $1100.00 is a great deal but a hot dog prepared in hot water with garlic, onions, coriander seeds and bay leaves for $2 more than a Grays Papaya is a rip off.

Wilfrid-

Are you suggesting that Danny does not make a ton of money in the F&B industry? Maybe he is doing it because he feels that New Yorkers deserve a break in the form of subsidized dining. We should consider him a philanthropist.

Billy D -- With all respect, might it be useful to have sampled the Eleven Madison hot dog (at least on one occasion) before arriving at a *definitive conclusion* regarding its culinary merits, and the appropriateness of its price, relative to the "average" NY hot dog stand or even Papaya? :wink: Note I have not yet sampled an EM hot dog.

Maybe I am cheap but I am interested in value not price.  To me a bottle of 1996 Petrus for $1100.00 is a great deal but a hot dog prepared in hot water with garlic, onions, coriander seeds and bay leaves for $2 more than a Grays Papaya is a rip off. 

LOL!!!!! it's for charity. write if off if you want to, and you're only paying an extra 1.21. jesus freakin christ. at least you know they're not pissing in the water at night.

Cabrales-

I sampled the hot dog last year and as I remember it, the hot dog was good; on par with or even a bit better than the standard dirty water dog and served with a smile. Still at $2 more than Gray's or $1.25 more than the dirty water dog it is a rip.

I understand that Grays does huge volume and the dirty water carts don't use the garlic, coriander seeds, onions and bay leaves. I would also imagine that the cart is more expensive for Danny to operate than the standard dirty water carts; paid smiling labor vs. commissioned sales people, higher rent for overnight storage of cart (i guess he keeps it at EMP),etc. But a simple marketing principle dictates if you can't give the consumer what he/she wants at the price he/she wants it for then don't offer it. Clearly, if the cart still operates people are patronizing it and I hope getting what they want. For me, I still feel that $2.50 for a Hot Dog from a street vendor is ridiculous.

Grays Papaya is 25 cents a dog? It's a while since I've been. In fact, my last visit may have been pre-Guiliani. Damn, that's a deal. It would actually pay you to buy a couple of Gray's dogs, take them home, and float them in your own garlic/coriander water for a while.

:laugh:

Wilfrid: Usually it's 75 cents. The location on 8th and 36th has them available for 50 cents, or at least they did as of about a week ago. For some time now, the 50 cent sign has had a "last days" sign on it, but who knows whether or not that is simply gimmickry.