• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Dog and Zwahlen's

johnb102

Based on recommendations here in the hamburger thread I tried Good Dog for lunch last Friday and enjoyed the Good Dog Burger (stuffed with Blue Cheese and topped with carmelized onions) so much that I went back again today for lunch with the family (and ordered the same thing).

I actually also tried the Brasserie Perrier burger last week, but as good as it was, I prefer Good Dog.

After that giant burger and pile of fries all I could manage was a sliced heirloom tomato for dinner. Luckily I still had room for our trip out to Zwahlens (also based on the recent discussions) and it was worth the trip. The setting is very strange as it is in middle of parking lot surrounded by every imaginable chain and we almost drove right by it. Totally unlike anything else we have around here, and the special flavor today was peach which seems like the perfect flavor for this time of year. Definately worth the 30 minute drive from Chestnut Hill. Followed that with a shared caremel apple for the group, and now I wonder what to eat tomorrow.

Zwahlen's :biggrin::raz: has become a destination for our family, often after an authentic Mexican dinner at Taqueria Michohacan(sp?) in Norristown. Our children, ages 7 and 11 ask for either Zwahlen's or the Franklin Fountain whenever they are in search of ice cream, and we are happy to oblige them whenever we can(they do have good taste as they will only eat sushi at Fuji or Bluefin-in that order, lol). The logistics are far easier for us(Lafayette Hill) at Zwahlen's, though the frozen custard is certainly much different than the ice cream featured at Franklin Fountain. Both are wonderful, imho.

The candy covered apples at Zwahlen's are not to be missed, and the chocolates are also top notch.

Tell me more, please, or direct me to some info regarding Good Dog!!!

Tell me more, please, or direct me to some info regarding Good Dog!!!

bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

Good burgers, very good beer selection. Probably better for lunch than for dinner, when they're usually packed; I've been turned away (ok, self-turned) a couple of times by the crowds.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

I really like their Beet & Goat Cheese Salad: Thinly sliced red and gold beets topped with walnut crusted goat cheese and micro greens with spiced walnuts in a white balsalmic vinaigrette.

I've also enjoyed the Grilled 3 Cheese: Thick slices of fontina, asiago and grueye, thinly sliced sauteed apples, and applewood smoked bacon served on brioche and baked in the oven.

Good quality ingredients, simply prepared accompanied by a carefully chosen selection of beers and wine (they have a nice Loimer Lois Gruner Ventliner by the glass which is a pleasant change from the more run of the mill whites). Very fair pricing as well. I have always found the wait staff to be knowledgable and helpful including being offered tastes of wines and beers I want to try.

Be warned at night it does become a bit of a hipster hangout with a lot of people drinking PBR Pounders and smoking. If that bothers you I would take Andrew's advice and go for lunch.

------------

CASETTA

"selling fame in fifteen second increments for pints of beer "

I have not tried Good Dog for dinner, but imagine it would be very crowded. There is an upstairs dining room which was open for lunch on Friday and closed on Monday. It probably gets crowded upstairs at dinner too, but I think it is non-smoking which would be a plus.

Re: the rest of Good Dog's menu

Macaroni & cheese comes with a blueberry muffin and it's delicious but not better than the burger.

French fries= mix of fresh cut sweet potato and regular white potato fries. Jas will complain that the sweet potato ones don't get crispy enough, but I know ppl who will trade off crispy for the sweet potato flavour. The kitchen will also do ALL sweet potato if you ask, and the portion size for the large plate is quite gigantico.

Caesar salad = gigantico portion also with a pretty snappy/sharp dressing.

I've had a really nice wobbly just done quiche there, but I forget if there was anything interesting in it.

Rice Krispie treat sampler = blah.