• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chouqutte...how do you define good ones?

iii_bake

Hi..the first time i had chouquette was a year+ ago in France and i kept having them everyday until i returned home.

Time passed and i would like to make some now but could not settle with any recipe or even recall what made them so good.

If anyone can give me some clue on this..that will be great! :rolleyes:

Should it be as firm as the eclair or a bit softer...?

Does it have a bit of the egg smell...or that means it is underbaked?

I used Pierre Herme's Choux Pastry recipe and baked at 220C..

I sprinkled with Pearl Sugar, can granulated be used?

Thanks!

Nantana

The recipe from Chocolate and Zucchini can set anyone up who hasn't had experience with pate a choux up for failure. You might have luck with it, but the way the instructions are written you might not get the desired result because of a lot of variables.

If you do have trouble with that choux recipe, check out this thread.

The recipe from Chocolate and Zucchini can set anyone up who hasn't had experience with pate a choux up for failure. You might have luck with it, but the way the instructions are written you might not get the desired result because of a lot of variables.

Dear Chefpeon and Etalanian,

Thank you all for this.

I actually i made them before coming for you guys' opinion....

Also searched the web...odd but true..only Chocolate & Zucchini's blog was worth the search;

but, even i had them before...i kind of forgot how well done shoud it be...

Chocolate&Zucchini's picture looks like they are a bit tender.

Some says, the choux should taste a bit biscuit like.

I have no problems with making the batter or baking them to hold their shapes but just curiousity...what is the perfect description.

I will go n read the thread again.

And thanks so much for your kind responses

Nantana :smile:

Dear ChefPeon,

Will defintiely work on the recipe you gave.

By the way, the choux bun stuffed with cream is the cream puff? and if you pipe it the long one stuffed with cream, it is eclair...just the matter of shape?

Am i correct?

Best

nantana

Dear ChefPeon,

Will defintiely work on the recipe you gave.

By the way, the choux bun stuffed with cream is the cream puff? and if you pipe it the long one stuffed with cream, it is eclair...just the matter of shape?

Am i correct?

Best

nantana

Choux bun stuffed is called a puff and the long one is an eclair. Yes, it's just the shape that is different (and eclairs traditionally have fondant on top)

:smile:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.