• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butter-like substitute?

Sony

Hi all,

Hoping that someone out there knows of a margarine or butter substitute that is not made with soybean or peanut oil or any dairy derivatives (for allergy reasons).

I'm hoping there's something "butter-ish" out there, even though oil can be subbed in most recipes just fine. I also know I can make my own soy-free margarine, but was hoping something was pre-made for convenience.

Please help.....thanks.

Edited to add: Also, soy protein isolate is not allowed. For now, soy lecithin also has to be avoided.

Edited by Sony (log)

Canola Harvest used to have a dairy-free margarine (I haven't looked for it since I switched to Earth Balance). The website says it's 100% canola - but you'd have to email them or check a container to see if it has any of the other ingredients you're avoiding.

Good luck!

Canola Harvest used to have a dairy-free margarine (I haven't looked for it since I switched to Earth Balance).  The  website says it's 100% canola - but you'd have to email them or check a container  to see if it has any of the other ingredients you're avoiding.

Good luck!

Great- I've e-mailed them to see if they can send an ingredient list! Unfortunately, it's not carried at my local grocery store, but I can probably have a case ordered if necessary.

With the trans fat scare, I'm surprised no one's come out with a palm oil based margarine.

I would try all the supermarkets in your area, as well as health food shops. Someone will have either a canola or a corn oil margarine.

I'm not sure if this would work for you but coconut oil (found in Indian stores) is similar in density and lubricacity (I totally made up that word).

The word you're looking for is lubricity :)

Edited by scott123 (log)

Thanks so much everyone! I'm checking into these products, especially corn- and canola-based margarines. Unfortunately, all that I've seen so far contain soy lecithin, soy protein isolates and/or whey. For example, many Canola Harvest products contain whey, and their dairy-free margarine has a small amount of soy lecithin- although customer service was awfully helpful and nice :smile:

The coconut oil suggestion is interesting and led me to Spectrum products- their coconut oil and palm-oil based shortening should be decent for baking. Badiane, unfortunately, a pork allergy was also discovered in this battery of tests- so no lard, but a good suggestion for those who can use it.

Now it's just a matter of searching for something buttery to melt on toast, veggies, etc. Maybe I will try my hand out at making my own margarine after all :wink:

Thanks again- and suggestions are of course still welcome!