• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken rolls in Philadelphia?

tom_s

While on a trip to New York, I noticed most pizzerias up there offered chicken rolls or sausage rolls: chicken parmigana or sausage and peppers rolled in pizza dough and baked in the oven just like a pizza. It was like a cross between a hot grinder and a calzone - and truly delicious.

I know we have panzarottis here, but it's just not the same thing. Are there any pizzerias in the Philadelphia/King of Prussia area that offer them?

Either way, I think we have the better cheesesteaks :smile:

That we have better cheesesteaks is without question.

I've seen random pizza joints that have sausage rolls all over the area.

The only one that I can specifically remember having and liking it was People's Pizza on Route 38 at Chapel Ave in Cherry Hill, and that was probably more than a decade ago.

The place is still there, but I don't know what the quality level is like.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

While on a trip to New York, I noticed most pizzerias up there offered chicken rolls or sausage rolls: chicken parmigana or sausage and peppers rolled in pizza dough and baked in the oven just like a pizza. It was like a cross between a hot grinder and a calzone - and truly delicious.

I know we have panzarottis here, but it's just not the same thing. Are there any pizzerias in the Philadelphia/King of Prussia area that offer them?

Either way, I think we have the better cheesesteaks  :smile:

there's a bravo pizza in exton (if you know exton, in the giant shopping center) that makes pretty good rolls. i prefer their meatball rolls, but they have sausage, pepperoni and veggie, as well.

i'm guessing if you have a favorite pizza place and you ask nicely, they'll make one for you. you may have to explain what it is, so come prepared with a picture.

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

An interesting(?) factoid: "Chicken roll" in UK (and ex-British colonies) refers to a sandwich of shredded boiled chicken breast, lettuce leaf and homemade mayo, served on a hot dog like roll.

It's a great summer dish (poor man's version of the lobster roll) and I was hoping this was the version this thread was about :sad: .....though the pizza version sounds good too :smile:

I was notorious for eating chicken rolls in NYC! It's also hard to find rice balls in PA as well. Di Bruno's has rice balls (aka risotto croquettes) and we just started serving calzones downstairs. I will implore the pizza makers to produce chicken rolls!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

It's also hard to find rice balls in PA as well. Di Bruno's has rice balls (aka risotto croquettes)

Really? That's excellent. How do they compare to suppli/arancini? What are they filled with? I may just have to go pick up some of those...

It's also hard to find rice balls in PA as well. Di Bruno's has rice balls (aka risotto croquettes)

Really? That's excellent. How do they compare to suppli/arancini? What are they filled with? I may just have to go pick up some of those...

They're a little larger, about the size of a tennis ball. Arborio rice is mixed with basil and diced tomato, filled with a mini ball of fresh mozzarella and deep fried. We serve small ones as hors d' as well, wild mushroom and duck confit is my fave.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.