• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gothamist / A Hamburger Today QBQ (2006)

Jason Perlow

Well, the weather was clearly against us, but the burgers and the good humor prevailed. If you missed the event, be sure to have a look at the video highlights reel (click)

gallery_2_3126_17535.jpg

I can't emphasize how much rain we got today, for those of you non-NYers. Torrential downpours literally nonstop this afternoon.

gallery_2_3126_36544.jpg

Great day for a beach party!

gallery_2_3126_28168.jpg

If its gloomy, hit the bar!

gallery_2_3126_50456.jpg

Event co-organizer Adam Kuban. When he's not scarfing pizza, this is generally what Adam is typically doing.

gallery_2_3126_39512.jpg

Griddle Area, center stage.

gallery_2_3126_45371.jpg

Burger Queue

gallery_2_3126_62534.jpg

Fries were great.

gallery_2_3126_47557.jpg

At least 200 people showed up despite the weather.

gallery_2_3126_43941.jpg

The carte.

gallery_2_3126_7842.jpg

A Hamburger Today's Adam Kuban and his friends at Gothamist kept the crowds in good spirits despite the incredibly sticky humidity. Do like Adam — always have a beer in hand.

gallery_2_3126_8037.jpg

Burgers were flying off this grill in ridiculous quantities.

gallery_2_3126_5402.jpg

A perfectly rare and juicy Motz Burger.

gallery_2_3126_17189.jpg

Meat expert and food writer Josh Ozersky, AKA "Mister Cutlets" admiring the griddle.

gallery_2_3126_33654.jpg

SPIKE!

gallery_2_3126_15572.jpg

gallery_2_3126_29039.jpg

Some views across the East River.

gallery_2_3126_64067.jpg

George Motz, Hamburger America film maker and griddle master.

gallery_2_3126_40381.jpg

New Mexico Green Chiles for the Green Chile Cheeseburgers. These babies had some serious burn.

gallery_2_3126_25932.jpg

gallery_2_3126_3892.jpg

Night falls on Manhattan.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Here's a podcast with Hamburger America director George Motz, Josh "Mr Cutlets" Ozersky and event organizer Adam Kuban:

Off The Broiler Podcast at 2006 Gothamist / A Hamburger Today QBQ

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I am slipping,.. I completely missed Big Apple BBQ and didnt even know this was happening... Looks like a great time.. Can you tell me more about that space.. Looks like a perfect place to have my bday party..

Its a cool space, but obviously, you don't want to have a party there during torrential rain like Gothamist and AHT did.

......and didnt even know this was happening... Looks like a great time....

D, I was thinking the exact same thing. I was in LES yesterday with a couple of hungry buds. We def would have checked it out. (We settled on some very good Domincian food.....huge portions.......massive bowl of tripe soup......but still : )

Was it a private party?

That wasn't chicken