• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pistachio paste

I need some pistachio paste for a dessert I'm making, anybody where to find some in Montreal? Thanks.

Not Montreal, but Qzina in Toronto has it.

How soon do you need it? I'm likely going to be in Montreal next week and could bring you a small amount as I have a large bucket. If all else fails I do have a recipe for it.

Thanks Kerry but I need it tonight. I do have a recipe for but wanted to skip a few steps. I might use almond paste instead, the ice cream should be good anyway.

The pistachio paste is actually almond flavoured I discovered, by itself it doesn't have a lot of flavour, so they seem to add some bitter almond oil. When I created the recipe to copy it, it didn't taste the same until I added a couple of drops of the oil. So the almond paste would likely taste perfect.

Thanks anyhow but I ended up using almond paste for the ice cream and it turned out amazingly smooth, silky and creamy. The best I've made so far and I don't mean to brag but some people could mistake it for store bought ice cream. I'll see if I can fool my parents.

Thanks anyhow but I ended up using almond paste for the ice cream and it turned out amazingly smooth, silky and creamy. The best I've made so far and I don't mean to brag but some people could mistake it for store bought ice cream. I'll see if I can fool my parents.

Recipe to follow?

I got it from a french book.

190 grams of sugar

500ml milk

200ml 35% cream

7 egg yolks

70 grams almond paste.

Mix milk and cream with half the sugar and bring to boil. Mix remaining sugar with yolks. When the cream is lighty boiling, pour it slowly on the egg mixture whisking constantly. Return in the pan and let it thicken to make "crème anglaise" that will coat the back of a wooden spoon. Add the paste and whisk to incorporate. Put in the fridge to cool it down. When it's cool, put it in the ice cream maker for about 25 mins and voilà!

• 3 weeks later...

Scroll down to Pistachio Cream.

Purely by accident, I found a jar at Whole Foods, sent with almond and hazelnut pastes that the store ordered. Since it could not be scanned, I got it for free instead of $22. There may be other retail stores.

On Amazon.com, you will find an inferior product for much cheaper: Note the additives, etc.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath