• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinners from the Farmer's Market

So, last night we had a swell little gathering and served a meal that featured items from the following local(ish) folks:

Skagit River Ranch

Willie Greens

Loki Fish

Tahuya Valley Apiaries

Estrella Family Creamery

Port Madison Farms

Billy's

and some others I think I've forgotten. Dinner report with menu and random discussions just posted in the Dinner! forum, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be worthwhile to have a NW-specific discussion of what we're cooking with the local bounty.

Any takers?

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.

One of my favorites: strawberries & cream.

From Port Madison: One plain fresh chevre and one plain goats milk yogurt

From your local berry grower of choice: 2 pts berries

From your local flower or vegetable grower: 1 bunch mint

Cream the chevre and the yogurt together in a bowl, add sugar to taste.

Toss the berries with the cream dressing. Serve in bowls, garnished with a sprinkle of sugar and a sprig of mint.

One of my favorites: strawberries & cream.

From Port Madison:  One plain fresh chevre and one plain goats milk yogurt

From your local berry grower of choice:  2 pts berries

From your local flower or vegetable grower:  1 bunch mint

Cream the chevre and the yogurt together in a bowl, add sugar to taste.

Toss the berries with the cream dressing. Serve in bowls, garnished with a sprinkle of sugar and a sprig of mint.

mmmmm

Port Madison yogurt is my breakfast of champions. Had been mixing it with frozen huckleberries from Foraged and Found. (I'd either leave 'em frozen or just put a handful of them out for a while in a bowl to thaw.)

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

From the Magnolia Farmer's Market:

Spring Garlic Soup-

Spring garlic sauted,added some chicken broth and cooked for about 30 mins. Then processed the mixture until somewhat thick. Put it back on the stove, added some mustard greens and at the last minute, added two beaten eggs with a little white wine vinegar (non-local ;( ) . Served with La Panzanella bread.

From the Magnolia Farmer's Market:

Spring Garlic Soup-

Spring garlic sauted,added some chicken broth and cooked for about 30 mins. Then processed the mixture until somewhat thick.  Put it back on the stove, added some mustard greens and at the last minute, added two beaten eggs with a little white wine vinegar (non-local ;( ) .  Served with La Panzanella bread.

Oh, heaven.

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle