• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

North Shore dining

Veghead

La Cucina is often overlooked but it is fantastic. Stay away from the pastas and order one of their meat dishes. I had a New York steak with peppercorn sauce the last time I was there and it was one of the best steaks I've ever had.

My favourite is still Bistro Chez Michel at Lonsdale...

Chef Joseph is one of the old guards and cooks consistently great food. If Joseph had a fan club I would be the president.

The patio overlooks Burrard Inlet and Downtown Vancouver...spectacular!

...many a nights I have enjoyed a glass of wine and a bluecheese pizza at the bar.

Not to forget:

• Steak frites

• Seafood bouillabaisse

• Rabbit stew!!!!

• Crepes

And for dessert ~ chocolate profiteroles.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I reviewed Bistro 1734 (uh, I hope I got the number right) in a separate thread. I recommend it -- we've had two very good meals there. If you want Japanese, Zen (which is right beside La Regelade) does good high end sushi, etc, and has a nice tasting menu of sakes. If you want casual, try the Red Lion in Dundarave. Upscale pub food with good daily specials. Thai Pud Pong on Marine near 15th is small but has very good Thai food. My wife recently had a Thai massage and the masseuse said that it was the only restaurant that Thai people actually go to in Vancouver. There's supposed to be a new Indian place in North Van that is very good: Mumbai? Something like that. It was reviewed recently in the Georgia Strait. I hope to get over there soon. If you want Persian, my Persian friends tell me the Pink Elephant on 3rd near Lonsdale is the most authentic. And finally, La Zuppa, which is on Lonsdale near 16th, does tapas. It's not fancy, but on certain nights they have great live flamenco dancing and it's a lot of fun.

Paul B