• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If you had the chance

Brad S

If you had the oppurtunity to enjoy only one of these wines,which would it be and why?

1961 Petrus

1985 DRC

1945 Mouton

1947 Cheval Blanc

1985 Sassicaia

1990 Latour

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

1961 Petrus because I've had the others. But aside from that, I haven't had pours from good bottles of 1945 Mouton or 1947 Cheval Blanc. From what I hear from friends who have had them both quite often, 1947 Cheval Blanc is the greatest bottle of wine ever made, along with 1928 Latour. And if someone promised me a perfect bottle of it I'd probably make it number one. But I would be very interested in the 1945 Mouton for historical reasons. But in general I prefer Cheval to Mouton.

Have you ever had any of them? I don't understand what the big deal is with '85 Sassacaia? It's good but I don't think it's in the league with the others. 1990 Latour is stunning and is loaded with opulent fruit. 1985 Romani Conti (I assume that's what you meant) is still closed and it's hard to tell what it's going to be like. But it doesn't hold a candle to 1971 or 1990 Romani Conti which are off the charts. I can't tell you much about Petrus at all since the only vintage I've had is 1975 which was very good, but not earthshattering.

The Petrus or the Mouton, although I am not at the stage in my wine knowledge where I would be able to appreciate either bottle.

I have sampled only one of those bottles, the Latour 1990. :hmmm:

jaybee -- The wines sampled during the tasting session were: Latour 1999, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1988, 1990, 1982 and Les Forts de Latour (3 recent ones, sampled before the Latour).  Then, during dinner, Latour 1980, 1967, 1971 (magnum), 1961, 1955 and 1985. I particularly liked the 1961, not surprisingly, but enjoyed learning more about this line. I was not at the stage of wine knowledge at which the evening would have been most helpful. Note my understanding of wine is feeble, particularly reds.  :confused:

Steve,

I understand your thoughts on Sassicia, Although I have a great deal of respect of the level of quality in the Super Tuscans...1990 Solia blew me away. Incredible concentration of fruit,with perfect balance of sweet oak and young tannins.

I have had all the wines except the petrus,and i'm pretty sure I will never taste that wine unless i'm willing to sell my home.

The 47 Cheval Blanc was the greatest wine I have ever tasted,I've had some older Ausones from St Emilion that were also incredible.

Pichon..both Comtesse and Barone have become my favorite (or a couple of them anyway) super seconds

I'd have to go with the '61 Petrus. As of now the best bottle I've had was a '61 Cheval Blanc with fifteen years of good cellaring. I am intensely curious about a prime Ausone, since it is such a legend. I've had Mouton and DRC in "good" years so I wouldn't expect to be totally surprised by the '45 Mouton and '85 DRC.

I have never had a Petrus with enough cellar age to show its qualities. So that is my pick.

I recently tasted a Montrachet ('93?) from Ramonet, and it was sublime. A wholly new taste experience, combining a rich honeyed fruit with acidity and freshness, along with layers and layers of other tastes and smells. I wanted to bury my nose i the glass and just inhale it.

Ramonet Montrachet........OMG, A true, pure Montrachet is a treat of a life time. I very much enjoy the whites of Latour,batard Montrachet,Corton Charlimane (please excuse my spelling) The only way I can describe a "prime" Ausone is like drinking the Joffrey Ballet...Perfect

Is there really a choice from that group? The '61 Petrus is my choice.

I would settle for just sniffing the label!!

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!