• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preserving Chocolate with Invertase

johnsmith45678

I have a recipe for chocolate truffles, and it states that intervase should be added to extend their shelf life (by preventing mold if there are air pockets). I checked the local grocery stores (including Whole Foods) and they've never heard of intervase. Google shows only 8 results for 'intervase chocolate'. Anybody heard of intervase, and where to get it?

edit - oops, it's invertase :raz: . So, my question is - what places usually carry it, or know of any good mail order shops?

Edited by johnsmith45678 (log)

Is "extended shelf life" an issue for home-made chocolate truffles at your place? dont they all get eaten within 23 minutes or less??

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mi...=2&SubCatId=784

another site , I bought it form them , I doubt you will find in a local grocery store ( included whole foods ) , so only way to get it is online or if you have a supplier for bakery and confectionery next to you.

Good luck , there is another thread on this discussing on invertase and inverted sugar as well ,I think Kerry linked for you.

Vanessa

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, truffles and other stuff very likely won't be around long enough to worry about possible mold.

This page mentions another enzyme - glucose isomerase - which does the same thing and is cheaper (not sure if it's mentioned in the other thread - haven't had time to read most of it yet!).

I bought a bottle at my local cake supply store. $3.00 for a 1 oz bottle. It is packaged by LorAnn Gourmet and they have a website LorAnn Oils so you may be able to buy it direct from them for less.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

This page mentions another enzyme - glucose isomerase - which does the same thing and is cheaper (not sure if it's mentioned in the other thread - haven't had time to read most of it yet!).

Is glucose isomerase actually used as a substitute for invertase in chocolate making? Chemically, it does not do the same thing as invertase -- invertase splits sucrose into glucose and fructose, while glucose isomerase actually converts glucose to fructose. This is the same enzyme that is used to make high fructose syrup from glucose corn syrup.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

another site , I bought it form them , I doubt you will find in a local grocery store ( included whole foods ) , so only way to get it is online or if you have a supplier for bakery and confectionery next to you.

Good luck , there is another thread on this discussing on invertase and inverted sugar as well ,I think Kerry linked for you.

vanessa,

i came across this on the same site. wondering if it would preserve ganaches. anyone have any ideas?

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/pr...roductId=619106

luis

Edited by sote23 (log)

vanessa,

i came across this on the same site. wondering if it would preserve ganaches. anyone have any ideas?

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/pr...roductId=619106

luis

I have a bottle of that at my kitchen. I have never tried it... Intertase seems to be working well.

Patrick Sikes

www.MyChocolateJournal.com

A new chocolate review community

PS I Love You Fine Chocolates

I did some mint ganache and I tryed the invertase, and while at the beginning the ganache seemed grany ( i had some trouble doing that batch needed to change location was colder , trying to baby sit my almost 2 years old , so you can immagine argggg ).Anyway at this moment , and i think its almost 3 weeks I made the chocolates , the mint ganache ( dark ) its nice and creamy smooth and still moist.I think I am going to use it for the other as well, probably not the white ganache ,but I am wondering about the amount , Wybauw says how much for kilo and stuff , but I find it hard to mesure that liquid , any tip?

Thank you

Vanessa

• 6 months later...

There is some information here about invertase.

Enzymes like invertase are protiens and are therefore denatured and inactivated by too much heat. So while they work better when warm, they get destroyed when hot.

Enzymes like invertase are protiens and are therefore denatured and inactivated by too much heat.  So while they work better when warm, they get destroyed when hot.

thanks kerry. so no more than 140 degrees farenheit. also says to store in refrigerator, is that correct? any idea on how much to use.

Luis

Edited by sote23 (log)

Enzymes like invertase are protiens and are therefore denatured and inactivated by too much heat.  So while they work better when warm, they get destroyed when hot.

thanks kerry. so no more than 140 degrees farenheit. also says to store in refrigerator, is that correct? any idea on how much to use.

Luis

I store mine in the cupboard, no room in the fridge. It should tell you how much per pound of fondant on the label. The one from CK is just a few drops per pound.

• 1 year later...

Here is a thread about american sources.

Not sure where you might find it in Israel.

Another source I have purchased from in the states is Burke Candy. They sell ingredients as well as finished products. They have shipped to me in Canada.

Keylink in the UK sell it (as Invertin), and should be able to ship to Isreal for you. They only supply it in 1 litre bottles (just over 30 euros), though. They have a pretty useful page on doses, usage etc, here. Greweling's Chocolates & Confections book also has some useful info and recipes.

restaurant, private catering, consultancy
feast for the senses / blog