• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lower LES Bar

Sneakeater

Can anyone recommend a good cocktail lounge-type place on the Lower Lower East Side (i.e., below Delancey St.)?

Don't want a rock bar like Fontana's.

The catch is that it has to be open at about 7 PM on Sundays. The obvious choices -- Milk & Honey (which I can't get into anyway) and the East Side Company Bar -- apparently aren't open that early on Sundays (unless anyone can tell me differently) (in which case: can anybody help me get into Milk & Honey?).

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Clandestino - recently opened on Canal between Essex and Ludlow - right next door to Les Enfants Terribles.  Not fancy in Pegu Club style, just a nice, new local bar/lounge.

I don't really understand the draw for Clandestino. The cocktails are no better than any beer and shot bar, no particular music scene, no interesting food, and bland ambiance. At best the place is inoffensive in every regard but there's nothing that stands out about that would make me want to frequent it.

Les Enfants has slightly better cocktails but still isn't a place to write home about. They're open at 7pm on sunday and will at least have better music and ambiance.

Good World (on Orchard just south of Canal) isn't too bad and open from 11am-4am all week. Great sweedish food.

King Size is great (on Essex just north of Canal) but unfortunately closed on sundays.

Barrio Chino (on Broome St Between Orchard and Ludlow) has a good selection of tequilas.

If you want a great pint of black, Lucky Jacks is wonderful. And there is a place called Freemans that can churn out a great drink, if it isn't packed, and sometimes even when it is. And this might be a bit out of the way but Temple bar is lovely.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Clandestino was very pleasant. You could tell that mixed drinks would be nothing special, and I just had glasses of riesling. I thought the music was very good (if too loud for my purposes). It's not the kind of place that wows you. But it's a fine place to hang out.

If you want a great pint of black, Lucky Jacks is wonderful.  And there is a place called Freemans that can churn out a great drink, if it isn't packed, and sometimes even when it is.  And this might be a bit out of the way but Temple bar is lovely.

i think i've heard of that freemans place...supposedly a good bartender there:)~