• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasted Beef Marrow Bones (Marrow as well)

VivreManger

Last week I made a stock from some marrow bones which I had roasted. After roasting I removed and froze the marrow and then boiled the bones with herbs and vegetables to create a stock to which I later added a chicken, making a modified pot au feu.

At this moment the bones are sitting in my fridge. I am planning to freeze them and reuse them at some point in the future. Any suggestions as to how best they might be reboiled? Next time I plan to use when I have more time and so I might roast them a good deal longer before putting them in the stock pot. Any suggestions as to how they might best be re-roasted and re-boiled, if in fact they still have much left in them.

The first time I probably roasted them for about one to two hours in a 350 oven and then boiled them for another two hours or so.

BTW I froze the marrow since I had too much of it to eat right away. How well does marrow freeze? Any suggestions as to how to use it once frozen?

I am thinking of throwing it into the mix of home-ground sirloin which, DB style, I will then stuff with foie gras for a special hamburger. Any better ideas?

Edited by VivreManger (log)

Your bones are not an endless supply for stock. After one roasting and boiling they are done for stock. The bones are sometimes reused to make a flavoring agent from a reduced stock called a glaze but this invloves making the stock and then reduction to thick syrup like consistancy which jells upon cooling. -Dick

So the consensus seems to be the bones have shot their wad.

Now the question remains, has anyone worked with frozen bone marrow in cooking (not surgery)? I doubt that they can be used as originally intended, a dish on their own, but can they be added to something else. For instance, once defrosted to intensify the flavor and fatiness of fresh ground beef in a hamburger with foie gras. Or would that be guilding the lily?

I'm not so sure the bones are done. In your first post you said they were only boiled two hours? If this is the case, they should be good for another batch of stock. Typically, beef stock is simmered for more like 10 hours...

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

frozen marrow is actually pretty easy to use, and while it doesnt have the appealing (debatable to some) texture of fresh marrow, you can easily heat it in a pan, add a bit of parsely and garlic, and spread it on toast.

Depending on the fat content, or how much other bits you froze with your marrow, you can use it for frying scrambled eggs. sounds crazy, but it makes for a delicious lunch... you can add whatever other ingredients you want to make a spicy fritatta.... i add chili and finely diced tomatoes.

I had a risotto once where marrow was used as the starting base for the recipe, ie, melting the marrow to sweat the chopped onions. The resulting dish had a mellow richness which set it apart from the usual risotto. Your frozen marrow could probably be put to good use in this dish, but just be careful that the risotto's accompanying ingredients can stand up to the richness. For instance, I think it would be better in a mushroom risotto rather than an asparagus one.

Have fun experimenting!

Amateur cook, professional foodie!